Hey everyone,
I'm currently using the Orange Dark Terror through my Orange PPC212-OB Cab as my gigging amp but my band is starting to progress to larger venues where the DT is just not loud enough so I am going to get a new head.
Out of all the amps I've seen the 50 Watt EVH 5150 seems like the best for the money. My band plays a variety of music ranging from The Who to Muse. The DT had great tones but it just was not loud enough and doesn't have channel switching (A big feature that I want)

Would you guys recommend the 5150?
The 5150 is a great amp, but I'm curious -- you're moving up to bigger venues and they don't mic the amps? Just about everywhere bigger than a bar around here does, and know we actually don't turn our amps up very loud at all. Where my amp would be at ~5 in our studio, the amp is at ~3 on stage for this very reason.
Some venues do yes but some sadly do not. So I need to have the extra power there for when I need it
Quote by Dillonski
Some venues do yes but some sadly do not. So I need to have the extra power there for when I need it

It has a volume jump between channels 1 and 2.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
It has a volume jump between channels 1 and 2.

This is a concern of mine. Is it a huge volume jump or is it manageable? Naturally I would want a bit of a volume jump but I don't want the rest of the band drowned out by me going to the rhythm channel
Quote by Dillonski
This is a concern of mine. Is it a huge volume jump or is it manageable? Naturally I would want a bit of a volume jump but I don't want the rest of the band drowned out by me going to the rhythm channel

I thought I read somewhere one user got away from it by using a MIDI set-up.

I have not heard the jump myself, I just wanted to mention it though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
For that kind of music, I'd get the same amp I am using, Laney VH100R. No volume jumps, 2 pretty much individual channels and lots of useful features. Worth every penny and I guarantee that the sound is great. The cleans are pristine and the amp can do anything from blues to thrash metal. One downside though, it's a lot more expensive than EVH 5150 III, but as I said, it's worth it.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

All I really want to know is, would the volume jump be a deal breaker? If not then I will defiantly be buying this amp as it's tones are the best I've heard for the price.
Quote by Dillonski
All I really want to know is, would the volume jump be a deal breaker? If not then I will defiantly be buying this amp as it's tones are the best I've heard for the price.

I had a 100w 5150 III head for a year, & loved the sound of it. Only sold it because I have other rigs that can do the same sounds, & the head was enormous. I've tried the little 50w head, & it sounds exactly like the big one to me, although I didn't play around with the channel switching, so I can't speak for the alleged volume disparity between channels. For the money, I'd agree it's hard to beat the 5150 III 50w amp.
I wouldn't mind getting one, but my wife would kill me!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
I wouldn't mind getting one, but my wife would kill me!

send me your slo.

problem solved.
Why a 5150 III? It doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd want to go for for what you play at all.

Why not a Marshall DSL or something like that?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Dillonski

The volume jump is VERY VERY VERY VERY noticable. I have never played a show or anything like that but it's very bad to the point where I assume it wouldn't be suitable. I can play the clean channel at a comfortable volume without the neighbors minding and as soon as I switch to the 2nd channel I need to turn the volume down quite a bit because it's too loud for me.