i just started playing and i'm just wondering is there some art to it or what. i know how to string a lacrosse stick? can you even compare the two? i have a parlor size acoustic guitar with nylon strings.
The stickied thread on the Electric Guitar board tells you everything you need to know. It will seem tricky at first but you'll pick it up quick. It takes about 20 minutes to completely remove old strings, put on a new set and tune up, once you're used to it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Lacrosse stick is definitely harder. There is an art to stringing a lacrosse stick and it can be done technically correctly, but still not perform well.. With guitar it just needs to be done technically correctly. For that watch Youtube or look up tutorials.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Its simple. When I first started I kept breaking the high e string every time I put a new one on. So make sure you don't tighten it too tight.
Quote by MrFlibble
The stickied thread on the Electric Guitar board tells you everything you need to know. It will seem tricky at first but you'll pick it up quick. It takes about 20 minutes to completely remove old strings, put on a new set and tune up, once you're used to it.

Unless it's a Steinberger, they take about 30 seconds.
My tele with locking Grovers is super fast to restring too. No steinberger of course but still, mighty good. The most time consuming part is feeding the strings through from the back. I friggin love locking Grovers. I don't think I'll ever buy anything else again. Well, unless I ever buy another steiny of course.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
an acoustic parlor size guitar should take around 20-30 minutes to unstring, clean, and restring for a beginner watching a youtube tutorial. its alot easier the second time around. It isnt really hard either unless you screw up a string which would have you cursing the heavens. youtube videos on the subject make it very easy to learn. theres also some stickies around UG that help alot.

dude said it takes 30 seconds to string a tele. just... no. Not physically possible. and fast tracking a string up may cause many issues.

I do recommend you take the time to clean up the guitar before putting strings on it. if the fretboard is gunky, it will feel gunky with strings over it. and make sure the strings are on the correct tuner posts(Ive screwed up a few sets of strings because of stringing on wrong post).
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Quote by bustapr
dude said it takes 30 seconds to string a tele.

Your reading skills need some work.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
It can still take a little while to get my (admittedly low-end) Steinberger into stable tuning even using the calibrated strings; the floating trem needs occasional adjustments throughout the life of the strings as they weaken.

Actually getting the strings on, though, yeah :p
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhh my bad xD I still wouldnt consider stringing one of those in 30 secs.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Quote by bustapr
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhh my bad xD I still wouldnt consider stringing one of those in 30 secs.

Cathbard is a man of legend. His amps don't just go to '11,' they're stuck at '11.' His fingers don't have callouses, they are callouses. When he finishes a gig the heavens shower him with groupies and cocaine. His tubes are tube driven. He tunes his guitar so low it has been proven to affect blue whale migrations. His in-ear monitor is a 100 watt full stack...

OK that last one might just be because he's old.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Quote by jameswilddev
It can still take a little while to get my (admittedly low-end) Steinberger into stable tuning even using the calibrated strings; the floating trem needs occasional adjustments throughout the life of the strings as they weaken.

Actually getting the strings on, though, yeah :p
I had one of the proper carbon fibre ones and I had no problems with stability at all. In fact it was the most stable trem I've ever used. Best trem fullstop really. But yeah, of course we were talking about restringing it, not tuning it. If you were in a hurry and already had the strings uncoiled I reckon you could do it in under 30 secs.

Quote by bustapr
You've obviously never owned one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 23, 2013,
Quote by tubetime86
Cathbard is a man of legend. His amps don't just go to '11,' they're stuck at '11.' His fingers don't have callouses, they are callouses. When he finishes a gig the heavens shower him with groupies and cocaine. His tubes are tube driven. He tunes his guitar so low it has been proven to affect blue whale migrations. His in-ear monitor is a 100 watt full stack...

OK that last one might just be because he's old.

My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.