Hey there.
I've been playing some heavy stuff in a band back in the day, but now it's all over and my LTD doesn't attract me anymore, awaiting for a buyer.
That's why I decided to buy an acoustic guitar so I can have an instrument to help myself feel depressed during rainy days or delighted during sunny ones.
I'd like it to have 6 metal strings, preferably body with a cutaway and with no electronics.
My budget is about 500$, but local shops around here usually sell guitars for slightly more money than in, for example, the USA's GuitarCenter.

The ones I considered suitable for me are:
Norman B18 CW / Simon&Patrick CW (I had luck playing the first one and fell in love with its sound)
Yamaha FG700S/FG720S/FG730S (there's no cutaway on these guitars, but the reviews on the web say that these are the perfect choices for the cash I've got)
Fender CD140S (I just tried it in the shop and it seemed to be a decent instrument)

I'd appreciate any advice which one to choose. Thank you in advance, fellow UGers.
all decent choices. i know very little of the Norman, i've never played/seen one. the S&P CW is a good choice as are the Yamahas. i had a yammie A series that i really liked. you can get a used one for less than 500 if you're patient( theres one going on ebay AC3R that's going tomorrow that's pretty low so far-new). also true with their spectacular L series.the fender i would probably pick a distant last...they just seem to sound so damn flat to me.
I agree with stepchild on the S&P and the Yamahas and I have never tried S&P's cousin Norman (even though I am from Canada). I would try some more out, but it sounds like your close to choosing one. Godin also manufactures Seagull, as well as S&P and Norman, they make very decent instruments.
Quote by Verral

The ones I considered suitable for me are:
Norman B18 CW / Simon&Patrick CW (I had luck playing the first one and fell in love with its sound)
Yamaha FG700S/FG720S/FG730S (there's no cutaway on these guitars, but the reviews on the web say that these are the perfect choices for the cash I've got)
Fender CD140S (I just tried it in the shop and it seemed to be a decent instrument)
This would be my one shot recommendation for you, especially in light of the fact you're already looking at the Yamaha FG -700.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-fgx700sc-solid-top-cutaway-acoustic-electric-guitar

Solid top, electronics. If you live in the US, you could have this for about $255.00 @ Musician's Fiend over this holiday weekend. (Your profile doesn't say where you're from, & you'd have to call to get that price. Their online checkout would deny it). As somebody that has played electrics, I really wouldn't suggest you buy a guitar without electronics.

Fender's QC is possibly a tad hit or miss. I have a "Sonoran SCE". It sounds great, but there's a couple of "I have some good news, I have some bad news" points about it.
Captaincranky, this one is almost impossible to find here in Russia, I believe it is an old model and they don't sell it anymore. The closest alternative is Yamaha FGX-720SCA, but they sell it for about 730$ in my local stores.
wow ! those are about $399 here in the US. i would try it in the local store and if you like it, order it from a store here in the States.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FG-Series-FGX720SCA-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-Natural-886830715105-/190837512718?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c6ecd5a0e
this is the cheapest i can find. even with shipping, it should put you well within your target price.
Quote by Verral
Captaincranky, this one is almost impossible to find here in Russia, I believe it is an old model and they don't sell it anymore.
The truth is I believe it's a new model, released because of the "popularity of the FG700 (acoustic only)". I suppose that's a moot point though. It does present the possibility of it eventually being available. Perhaps you could make some inquiries?

If Yamaha's business model is anything like Ibanez', models come and go quickly in the USA, and seem to linger a bit longer in Europe.

OK, I did have the model number wrong , according to Yamaha's own website, the model number is "FGX700xxx" Here's that page at Yamaha.com : http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-ac-guitars/fgx_fjx_fsx/fgx700sc/?mode=model

Granted that is USA Yamaha. The lowest number I could find @ yamaha asia, is the 720. I couldn't even find a "yamaharussia.cccp" (Just joking with that one ) glastnost..

That might explain the pricing issues. If Yamaha doesn't distribute within Russia, each instrument would have to be individually imported, as opposed to shipping truckloads to the biggest outlets around. Then there's the Ruble /Euro / USD exchange rate to contend with.
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 24, 2013,
There's a new option in my wishlist from now.
It's Simon & Patrick Woodland 6 CW Spruce. Seems to be the same as all the other Godin products, having no tuners or pickups but with a cutaway. I'm really close to buying this one.
that's a very good choice Verral. you won't be unhappy with it.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by Verral
There's a new option in my wishlist from now.
It's Simon & Patrick Woodland 6 CW Spruce. Seems to be the same as all the other Godin products, having no tuners or pickups but with a cutaway. I'm really close to buying this one.
I'm not sure where you're coming from here. Almost all Godin's "Seagull" series are available with electronics. The lower priced guitars have their Q-1 electronics (2 band EQ). The upscale models their Q-2 package (3 band EQ)

Simon & Patrick come with B-Band electronics,. Here's the full line specs: http://www.simonandpatrick.com/specs.htm

I won't buy an acoustic without built in electronics, and as a "once and future (possibly) electric "king'", I suggest you don't either, for a multitude of reasons. Another note about cutaways on acoustics, of which you're probably already aware. With a 5" body depth and 14th fret neck/body joint, the cutaways aren't nearly as effective as those on electrics.