I'd like to record some jam sessions. I'm not looking for studio quality or anything close, but something I can toss on our site as a rough demo before the EP gets recorded better. The set up right now is a drum set, my electric + amp (distorted), a bass + amp, and I have my mic plugged into a guitar practice amp.
I was told you couldn't beat the ECM8000 for the price for recording a rehearsal. I checked into em and they're pretty cheap (about $60 on Amazon). While I'm sure I'll be going the direction of the ECM8000, I'd like a few suggestions on anything that might be a little better even if it's a little pricier. Please nothing over $200 though. Maybe around the $80, $100, $120 range?

EDIT: I had a post about this a while ago but it ended up turning into a conversation about turning a cardioid Mic into an omni directional mic.
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Dual Gibson Humbuckers
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic/Electric
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
Old Too Young (Folk/Bluegrass/Punk)
The Orange Line (Stoner Metal/Punk/Alternative)
Last edited by Billwallace89 at May 23, 2013,
Well technically it'll record the sound of a room accurately... but it's not a recording microphone and honestly couldn't tell you how it'd sound.

Most of the time the "one mic in a room" trick doesn't really lead to recordings that anyone outside of the band should listen to.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
It's more of just for people to get the feel of the sound with a track or two before the EP comes out. What other uses would the ECM8000 have? I'd like to justify buying it with more than just rehearsal recordings.
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Dual Gibson Humbuckers
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic/Electric
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
Old Too Young (Folk/Bluegrass/Punk)
The Orange Line (Stoner Metal/Punk/Alternative)
Ive had much better results recording a rehearsal with a single dynamic Mic than I have with a condenser. Shure SM7b and Beyerdynamic M201, though both are well over your budget :P
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have a pair of ECM8000's. I used to use them as drum overheads. They're not ideal for that, but they do okay.

They are the flattest mic you will get for under about $2000. For recording a rehearsal "a pair of mics in a room" style, they'll be really tough to beat.

I can't think of what else I would suggest.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Yeah, I don't think you'll get better than the ECM8000 for simply recording a practice or gig accurately. How good it sounds will depend almost entirely on the room itself.

They also work pretty well on acoustic guitar, percussion and quite a few other things (provided you're handy with an EQ).