I want to buy a new bass that sounds good in slapping for around 700-750$, any suggestions?
Something with humbuckers if you want that modern tone, or a Jazz style bass if you want that classic 70's slap funk sound.
There are literally hundreds of basses out there on that budget. Get down your local music store and try some out! Do you like chunky necks or slim ones? Active or Passive? Are you willing to go used?
The best way to find a bass for you, is for you to find a bass, as it were!
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Fender Jazz basses are well-established slap machines. Check out the models in your price range. You will find something that suits your needs quite well.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Fender Jazz basses are well-established slap machines. Check out the models in your price range. You will find something that suits your needs quite well.

Also Sterling by Musicman ray 34 (or 35, for the 5 string version) is a good, more modern sounding choice. Bear in mind the neck is chunkier than a jazz bass'.

Still, we'll need much more info, as posted above!
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
Also Sterling by Musicman ray 34 (or 35, for the 5 string version) is a good, more modern sounding choice. Bear in mind the neck is chunkier than a jazz bass'.

Still, we'll need much more info, as posted above!

well my main problem with the one i have now (ibanez edb) is with slapping d&g strings, no matter how hard i slap them there sound is neither bright nor loud enough, whether I'm playing fast or slow, and i have tried to adjust the amp settings a lot it did not make a difference
a compressor and cranked highs will probably do you a lot of good, TS

new strings can help as well

and it could be a technique thing

but +1 to stingrays, they've got clank for days
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by puskus54
well my main problem with the one i have now (ibanez edb) is with slapping d&g strings, no matter how hard i slap them there sound is neither bright nor loud enough, whether I'm playing fast or slow, and i have tried to adjust the amp settings a lot it did not make a difference

Well, I'll revise my technique then. Some basses do have some "not nice" slap sound, but the fact of specific strings failing sounds more like a technique issue.

BTW you mean slap or pop those strings? Also, thinner strings are somewhat more complicated to get a full sound from when slapping, i used to have that technique issue, and somedays i still fail with that, but it's only a matter of practice (and practicing is all you can do to get rid of it).

Gearwise, the bass might have something to do with it, but i guess not, and heavier guage strings could help (but could also make popping a little bit harder).

Something you could do in order to realize wether it is a bass or a technique problem would to try slapping some other basses and see how it goes. If you get the sound you want easily with some other bass, then you edb has something to do with it. If not, it's most likely a technique issue.

Hope you can solve this!
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2