Got myself an apogee jam ,good quality interface ,but even with it and layered guitars garageband still makes it sounds slightly muffled ,I wanna cover 80s metal songs so I want a crisp heavy distorted tone ,I want my muted open E,s and A,s to sound like chugs ,garageband just hasn't got the quality !

what would you guys recommend for me ? Reasonable price like not hundreds of euros
Last edited by wld-kid at May 23, 2013,
The DAW won't have any affect on your sound...

How are you recording?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I edited my post ,I'm recording guitar into jam into ,iPhone,mac ,( I have both ) ...multitracking the Rythem parts 2-3 times ,using different amps and settings etc ,then panning hard left right and leaving one in centre
The muffled nature is more likely to do with the fact that you're not doing any post-processing.

The issue here is what you're doing with the raw recordings, not SO MUCH what you're recording with, though the JAM isn't exactly the greatest interface in the world, but it's far from bad.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
All about learning how to mix, sadly I can't really teach you how to do that in one post. Youtube has great tutorials and the internet is a great resource. Sorry I can't be of more direct help.

Quote by DisarmGoliath

It could be your recording technique (mic placement, tonal choice etc etc) but you can probably fix it in the mix. EQ and compression are your friend.
I'm a total newbie to this thing so don't no much about EQ and compression so il give them a good look through
Hey,
I've recorded a couple of songs and plenty of demos using Garageband on the iPad2 using a tascam iXZ. Its about 30-50 bucks and the quality is pretty damn decent. If you want to listen to a sample I could link it in a post, but the only way you can really improve it is to mix it and pan tracks. Alot of times the pre set amps can give you some truly terrible quality in your tracks, I stick to classic crunch and it works well for me. My friend told me about some program called Frooty Loops (?) and said that was easy to find and 'download'. Good luck on finding a program!
Quote by owen556
My friend told me about some program called Frooty Loops (?) and said that was easy to find and 'download'.

Hi there! I'm the Recording forum's resident Fruity Loops user. Let me explain.
Fruity Loops, which has since been renamed FL Studio, is a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). So is GarageBand, Logic, or Reaper. You use DAWs to record and process sound, but they come with the same set of basic effects to do that; compressor, EQ, reverb, delay, saturation etc. It's like a computer or OS, in a way; Windows, Mac or Linux, they all have a similar set of programs (web browser, email, text editor, file manager).
You should be able to record audio that sounds good on any DAW. Upgrading to Pro Tools or whatever isn't going to help if your recordings sound like crap. That's either a hardware issue, or you just aren't using the effects right.
Don't Blame The DAW (tm).
garageband tends to make the volume of the exported track lower than what you hear in the garageband project. that's kind of annoying but i found a video that helps with that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCHnXloH8_Y

other than that i think garageband is pretty cool considering its free for macs and simple to use
What are you listening back through? The problem is likely between your monitoring and your EQing. If you aren't shaping the tracks with EQ, they will become a big muddy mess.

The Jam is a fantastic interface for DI guitar/bass, and I use mine regularly when I need a quick DI and my Duet 2 inputs are busy with something else. It's pro quality conversion and light years ahead of anything else made for iOS connectivity.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I have garageband on both my mac and my iphobe ,there is little to no EQ for the iphobe as far as I can tell ....I reinstalled the app and it does sound better I must admit ( I read that's what to do )but I'm still searching for that HUGE METAL TONE !
Quote by wld-kid
I'm still searching for that HUGE METAL TONE !

Then you best get yourself some nice tube amps and thousands of dollars in outboard gear xD (only partially serious) The big metal tone on the big albums is a hard thing to do.

Also a large tone is normally mix specific. A big tone in it's own normally equates to mud in a mix. Most of the strength from a metal guitar comes from the bass guitar.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at May 24, 2013,
Quote by wld-kid
I'm still searching for that HUGE METAL TONE !

The

HUGE METAL TONE !

is stupidly easy to do with amp sims.
1) Get a good interface.
2) Add the following effects: tube screamer (I use TSE 808), amp sim (TSE X50), cab sim (Poulin SoloC via LeCab v1), and a little reverb.
3) Track the rhythm parts at least twice, and pan them hard left/right.
4) Use an EQ to filter out the mud (high pass) and any fizz that might come up (low pass).
For the fiftieth time, you don't need any specific DAW to do this (I've managed to get a solid wall-of-sound with FL Studio, which is geared towards electronica), or any specific interface. But you will need good gear.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Then you best get yourself some nice tube amps and thousands of dollars in outboard gear xD (only partially serious) The big metal tone on the big albums is a hard thing to do.

Also a large tone is normally mix specific. A big tone in it's own normally equates to mud in a mix. Most of the strength from a metal guitar comes from the bass guitar.

This.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
This.

That too. You'll actually be cutting out the lower parts of the guitar (ie mud) in the EQ, using a high-pass band, to make room for the bass.
That being said, the guitars do have some low end, to make the chugs nice and meaty, but above the bass. Listen to this song, then this one, and spot the difference in guitar tone.
I'm lost when it comes to EQ I see YouTube videos of guys scooping out mids etc and I'm lost ,I need to learn that stuff for sure