I have been meaning for some time to create a video while doing some sort of improvisation and upload it to YouTube. Finally did so yesterday. You can see it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLXPZqmojjQ

What I didn't take into account was how nerve-wracking this is to do(!). My stomach (and fingers...) were in knots, which didn't help the fluidity as well as making me rush slightly in parts. Anyway, I feel like I've cracked the ice(!). Maybe the next one will be easier.

Any thoughts welcomed!
Quote by andrew_k
I have been meaning for some time to create a video while doing some sort of improvisation and upload it to YouTube. Finally did so yesterday. You can see it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLXPZqmojjQ

What I didn't take into account was how nerve-wracking this is to do(!). My stomach (and fingers...) were in knots, which didn't help the fluidity as well as making me rush slightly in parts. Anyway, I feel like I've cracked the ice(!). Maybe the next one will be easier.

Any thoughts welcomed!

I really like your guitar, is it a jackson? What model? And nice playing too. I'm mostly self taught so half the stuff I do is improvisation. I have a youtube channel too, I'm buzzguy224, excuse the dumb name, I made it when I was little. But yeah, cool guitar! Your playing style kind of reminds me of Steve via but less boring, haha.
Quote by MarshallH
I really like your guitar, is it a jackson? What model? And nice playing too. I'm mostly self taught so half the stuff I do is improvisation. I have a youtube channel too, I'm buzzguy224, excuse the dumb name, I made it when I was little. But yeah, cool guitar! Your playing style kind of reminds me of Steve via but less boring, haha.

Yeah, it's a Jackson SL3, though I have replaced the original Floyd Rose with a Gotoh, and the original pickups with Bareknuckles (2 Irish Tour single coils, with a Nailbomb humbucker in the bridge). Would love an instrument with a standard Fender style whammy bar (with locking tuners of course) but I prefer guitars with 24 fret necks. Most of the instruments that match what I want are in the boutique/custom shop end of the market and, well, that just isn't going to happen any time soon...

Just had a look at your channel. You've got quite a few videos up, plus a few nice guitars! How do you find playing in front of the camera? You seem particularly cool, calm and collected!
I believe this should be in the recordings section.

Anyways, the playing was great, really technical, and good use of technique. The only advice I'd like to throw in would be adding something extra between each impressive lick. It kinda felt like awesome, pause, awesome, pause... instead of flowing from lick to lick. Make it feel a little more like a demonstration and less like a song.

Just my 2 cents. Like I said, great playing, you have the ability by a longshot. Just practice some more with backing tracks and you'll have it.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I believe this should be in the recordings section.

Anyways, the playing was great, really technical, and good use of technique. The only advice I'd like to throw in would be adding something extra between each impressive lick. It kinda felt like awesome, pause, awesome, pause... instead of flowing from lick to lick. Make it feel a little more like a demonstration and less like a song.

Just my 2 cents. Like I said, great playing, you have the ability by a longshot. Just practice some more with backing tracks and you'll have it.

I was wondering if this was perhaps the wrong section, next time I post I'll make sure it goes in the recording section.

Big thanks for your feedback too, I really appreciate this. I think my inability to relax while creating the video meant I played a lot less musically than I perhaps could have. Something for me to keep in mind next time.
Its good man, just try to be a bit cleaner.
Gear:
Ibanez RGT6EX
Line 6 Spider 3 15
Hobner 265

Quote by Lost Dog
People absolutely love to see horrible accidents and murders, as well as any sort of fighting really. Just look at the news. We wouldn't watch it if it was boring.
Do you even lift, Bro?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.