I'm starting to play some metal songs, and I want to know more. I need songs that are not very hard and not very easy, it's okay if it's gonna be a little tricky and a bit more challenging, and a crowd-pleaser (songs like Enter Sandman, rhythms are not that complicated, but enough to satisfy the crowd). As of now, I'm aiming for rhythm parts, also lead parts and easy solos. I can't do very fast solos and I'm still mastering some techniques used in metal, like sweep picking, legato, tapping, shredding and other speed stuff, but I'm okay with palm-muting, making my own riffs, double-stop, and a mid-progress on different kinds of harmonics, I know a few things about music theory. I'm not a total beginner, a dummy, or a noob or something like that. Neither I'm advanced, I think I'm on the intermediate stage.
Here are the metal songs I can play as of now:
1. Metallica - Enter Sandman
2. Metallica - Master Of Puppets
3. Megadeth - Symphony Of Destruction
4. Black Sabbath - Iron Man
and my own metal riffs.

I can play other songs from other genres and bands, these songs are just from the metal category.

I don't do black metal, death metal, doom metal, death core or other diabolic stuff. I'm not a holy person, and I'm not a satanic person. Lets just stick with classic metal, heavy metal, glam metal, funk metal, rap metal, thrash metal, progressive metal, groove metal, avant-garde music, folk metal, etc (hard rock, blues rock, classic rock, would still be good for me). It would be okay if you suggest songs from Metallica, Dream Theater, Slayer, Anthrax, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, or a more heavy/thrash metal, or stick to the noticeable songs (so the people here in my place will know what I'm playing). Thanks.

EDIT: I also prefer songs in Standard tuning and Drop D tuning (this tuning is my limit), because I haven't changed my string gauge yet (as I've said, I'm just starting with this stuff) and my string gauge is 9-42.
Last edited by mightycornholio at May 24, 2013,
Black Sabbath - Electric Funeral
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Manilla Road - Astronomica
Cynic - Evolutionary Sleeper
Devin Townsend - Hyperdrive
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
Trivium - Like Light To The Flies
Warlord - Deliver Us From Evil
Sodom - Magic Dragon

These songs aren't too difficult or too easy. They're all in Standard aside from Burnt Offerings and Like Light To The flies, which the former is Eb and the latter is Drop-D.
Why do we need to suggest songs if you know the bands whose songs you want to play? Just check out some stuff from Metallica, Dream Theater, Slayer, Anthrax, Iron Maiden and Megadeth. Play the songs you like.

Metallica - Seek And Destroy is a classic.
Anything from Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning.

Just challenge yourself and try to learn some hard songs too. I'm sure Dream Theater has lots of stuff that is challenging.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I think you may take a look at some of the "Painkiller" or "Angel of Retribution" Judas Priest songs, like Night Crawler, Deal With the Devil, or something like Electric Eye (the rhythm part is not very difficult and it's fun to play, it's also a good crowd-pleaser song).

You may also want to take a look at some songs from Rage, like this one (it's 1 step down tuning; but with transcribe or similar programs, you can take it up to standard to play over):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7EKNEbm_Go

This one has some parts I found challenging to learn, but I'm quite a beginner, so I don't know how difficult it would be for you to learn.

If you are not willing to learn the solos, maybe some of the Malmsteens rhythm parts (1/2 step down tuning)?
Also, the tuning shouldn't matter. You can play songs that are originally in Eb/whatever tuning (as long as they are in some standard/drop tuning) and just use the same fingerings and play them in standard tuning. It sounds a bit different but who cares? It shouldn't matter unless you are using backing tracks/using the original song as your "backing track". So just listen to some songs and learn the songs you want to learn. Or learn your favorite songs. Rhythm parts usually aren't extremely difficult (unless it's fast alternate picking throughout the whole song). As I said in my earlier post, any Metallica song from Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets.

Black Sabbath songs are usually pretty easy and the solos aren't that challenging. Any song from Paranoid album. They might be a bit easy but if you just want to please your crowd, they are good songs - audience will be impressed even if you play something you consider easy. Most of them don't even know what songs are easy to play, they just know what songs sound good. If your band sounds good, it doesn't matter what songs you play.

Aces High is one of my favorite Iron Maiden songs, maybe try it. Alexander the Great is cool too. Fear of the Dark and The Trooper are classics but IMO a bit overplayed. But whatever, if you like the songs just play them.

Just play the most well-known songs from the bands. They usually aren't their hardest songs and if you are going to play them live, most of the audience will know the songs.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Also, the tuning shouldn't matter. You can play songs that are originally in Eb/whatever tuning (as long as they are in some standard/drop tuning) and just use the same fingerings and play them in standard tuning. It sounds a bit different but who cares? It shouldn't matter unless you are using backing tracks/using the original song as your "backing track". So just listen to some songs and learn the songs you want to learn. Or learn your favorite songs. Rhythm parts usually aren't extremely difficult (unless it's fast alternate picking throughout the whole song). As I said in my earlier post, any Metallica song from Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets.

Black Sabbath songs are usually pretty easy and the solos aren't that challenging. Any song from Paranoid album. They might be a bit easy but if you just want to please your crowd, they are good songs - audience will be impressed even if you play something you consider easy. Most of them don't even know what songs are easy to play, they just know what songs sound good. If your band sounds good, it doesn't matter what songs you play.

Aces High is one of my favorite Iron Maiden songs, maybe try it. Alexander the Great is cool too. Fear of the Dark and The Trooper are classics but IMO a bit overplayed. But whatever, if you like the songs just play them.

Just play the most well-known songs from the bands. They usually aren't their hardest songs and if you are going to play them live, most of the audience will know the songs.

Thanks for the advice, dude. You've been helping me a lot, and I think I've got the best answers from you.