Hi there. I am new to tube amps. I recently purchased a used Musicman RH 65 Watt 212 from guitar center. I've noticed that when I first turn the amp on it sounds great, as expected, but after a couple hours of practice it becomes muddy and unpleasant. I seriously doubt that GC sold me new tubes, and I'm assuming that to be the problem. Now I am completely new to tube amps and I do not know where to begin on what kinds of tubes I should now buy, or if it even matters. I'm guessing I should also invest in some sort of cooling system for the amp as well?

Edit

I guess I should mention I am going for a very clean and rich rhythm tone. Specifically I play rhythm guitar in an Elvis Tribute Band
Last edited by tim.dehart.9 at May 24, 2013,
JJ's are the best value for money. Just go to tubedepot or doug's tubes and order the same type. Some of those had 12AX7 (ECC83) tubes and some had a solid state preamp. The power tubes are 6CA7 iirc. That means you can also use EL34's. I have some JJ 6CA7's in one of my Marshalls atm and I'm quite impressed by them. I'd just buy those if I were you but look at what's in it it and just buy the same type but in JJ.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 24, 2013,
doug is very good. im buying from dougs tubes from now on.

very clean you say? 5751 or even cleaner, like an old fender a 12ay7 in v1. JJ the rest.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
The EHX 12AY7 is actually quite a decent tube. One of the few things that come out of the Sovtek factory that is. That's a good thing because as far as I am aware it's the only 12AY7 in production. You can score NOS 12AY7's for less than NOS 12AX7's though because they are in far less demand. I've seen them go for under $20 fairly regularly, especially american ones (which makes sense because Fender were about the only amps that used them)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification