Hi guys. I've found a million threads detailing drop tuning, and just as many discussing how to set your action/truss rod. What surprised me is that I found no threads talking about achieving these measurements IN drop tunings

Obviously, to an extent, using thicker strings counteracts the loss of tension at such tunings - but beyond this I have no idea how to set a bass up as effectively/beautifully (for the sake of specifics) in drop C# as I do in standard or drop D.

I've been using these videos for my measurements..
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDDFFCA0046AA9F7D

I'm currently using a 45-100 (super slinky) set on my standard and drop D basses.

With that information in mind, it would be awesome if anyone could help me answer the following questions!

a) How much thicker do my strings need to be per semitone lowered? (0.005 right?)

b) How do the aforementioned action/truss measurements differ for drop C# tuning as opposed to standard?

c) P or J for drop tuning? Why?

Thanks for any help!
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
It is the exact same process with the truss rod and action in any tuning situation. And both P and J basses work fine with drop tuning. I hope this helped.
As far as the measurements go, yeah, thanks! I just need to know if I was right about the strings now
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
I feel like its all trial and error really, keep adjusting and tinkering until everything feels just right. Its all personal preference. I personally would use something heavier than super slinkys for Drop C but thats because I dont want floppy strings while im sure plenty of people love such things.
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.
I use .120 .085 .070 .050 for my drop D. The .120 D has the same tension as the .105 I use for E. It looks like I prefer a little more tension than you.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Last edited by deeptubes at Jun 2, 2013,
Cheers guys!
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212