hey guys, so ive had a sd alnico ii pro in the neck, sd custom in the bridge of my explorer for a while now and they have been fine, but lately they have been starting to crackle when I switch between pickups and they crackle and distort when I turn the volume all the way up and strum loudly sometimes as well. what could this be? I re-sauldered(spell?) the switch and checked the vol pots and everything looked fine, is it the pickups dying somehow?
Chill out, it hasn't even been a day yet.

Pots and switches wear out over time. This is completely normal, especially if you're electronics are not high quality. There is nothing wrong with your pickups.

You can try spraying contact cleaner in your switch and in your pots. There's a good chance that will fix the problem, as dust is a common culprit of this sort of thing.

You can also just replace the electronics. A full swap of everything should only run you $15 tops, unless you're going for some high quality stuff.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
They'll last longer. Try contant cleaner first, like suggested.

(correct spelling was soldered, btw )
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I'm not sure about pots. I think Bourns and CTS are good. I know for switches CRL and Oak Grisby are supposedly the best.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X