I have seen many guys perform with just an ipad as backup and have done a good job. A group of friends want to get together and play and maybe get out to some local places. We have vocals, guitar and bass and would like to fill in the drums/keys with backtracking.

Is there a place/technique to get high quality backtracks of drums for complete songs? I messed around with Band in a Box and some .midi files I found, but we are not impressed by the quality at all. What are most of these guys using?

Thanks!
Why don't you just get a real drummer?

Pros
-more flexible
-doesn't require programming
-can pay for pizza
-can help carry stuff
-can provide practice space
-won't be any "competition"

Cons
-doesn't understand music
-doesn't understand directions

I think the pros outweigh the cons.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Goyabmc

Is there a place/technique to get high quality backtracks of drums for complete songs?
Go make them out of drum samples.
Why don't you just get a real drummer?
Cons: Wants a cut of the money
They're a drummer. It shouldn't be too hard to trick them out of their cut.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
We could, but the places we are looking to play are small, and we could get more gigs being able to get in without drums.
Also, you put "Can carry stuff", and "Can provide practice space" as pros. These are barely issues when you've not got a full drum kit to lug around and play over. Also I think computers might be a tad more flexible than a person limited to using 4 limbs.
Quote by willT08
Also I think computers might be a tad more flexible than a person limited to using 4 limbs.

You can't be serious.
Quote by willT08
How could they possibly not be?

Because computers can't adapt as quickly as a real drummer can.
Quote by theogonia777
Because computers can't adapt as quickly as a real drummer can.

Adapt to what?
Quote by willT08
Adapt to what?

You can't be serious. Next you're going to tell me that you can't see how having a real person giving customer service could have advantages over a machine or how having a human take food orders could have advantages over a machine. That's just absurd.
Quote by theogonia777
You can't be serious. Next you're going to tell me that you can't see how having a real person giving customer service could have advantages over a machine or how having a human take food orders could have advantages over a machine. That's just absurd.

Well in both those examples you're interacting with a stranger who decides the setting and can change it at any time.

In a performance, now I don't know about you, but I plan what I'm gonna do beforehand. If I'd need my drums to adapt, it'd be because I fucked up. So the simple solution is, practice your set.
"Give it up for the drummer boys!"
So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world.
~Jack Layton 1950-2011
People that want to watch a band would much rather watch a drummer than a ipad
Quote by desperatechris
notsureifsrs.jpg

Absolutely, and nobody's convinced me otherwise.

We are talking about having a theoretically infinite kit with individual effects on each hit, able to trigger as many as you like at one time. Versus a dude with a 7 piece kit, all dry as standard and he can only hit 4 things at once.

EDIT: And what if I want my gong hit to only ring out for 2 seconds whilst I do a drum fill made up of car key sounds and tabla hits? Obviously all whilst a layer of noise is sidechained to everything.
Last edited by willT08 at May 25, 2013,
Quote by willT08
Absolutely, and nobody's convinced me otherwise.

We are talking about having a theoretically infinite kit with individual effects on each hit, able to trigger as many as you like at one time. Versus a dude with a 7 piece kit, all dry as standard and he can only hit 4 things at once.

EDIT: And what if I want my gong hit to only ring out for 2 seconds whilst I do a drum fill made up of car key sounds and tabla hits? Obviously all whilst a layer of noise is sidechained to everything.

You're giving me that same feeling I get when I find out that somebody I know is a creationist.
At least the I-Pad won't show up late for the gig. Plus, you don't have to lend it to 8 other bands.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by theogonia777
You're giving me that same feeling I get when I find out that somebody I know is a creationist.

This'd be fine if you could back up your claim with anything whatsoever. You literally haven't explained yourself at all.
Backing tracks are pretty much only okay for little additions like synths or strings or things you can't really do live at the moment, but when it comes to anything else I find myself annoyed. I don't want to watch a computer play a track exactly how I can hear it at home. I payed to see a group of people create a fusion of sound on stage, and I feel when you're stuck to a track then it defeats the purpose of that.

That being said, get Superior Drummer/Addictive Drums and program your own. It's a handy skill.