Hi, at the moment I have a MXR classic 108 fuzz and cant seem to get any tones i like from it. I use a Blackstar HT 50 head with Blackstar 2x12 cab. Im using it through the clean channel. I brought a Mooer Green mile overdrive pedal and have tried to use that after the fuzz to see if that will improve the tone but it just seems to get very messy. Ive even tried it through the overdrive channel on my amp but this doesnt seem to be any better.

Ive tried everything I can think of that might improve the tone but any suggestions would be great, thanks.
i probably should have said that, but i find it very harsh sounding and cant quite get a nice smooth sound out of it
Have you heard demos of the pedal? Fuzzes come in a huge variety of flavors. Maybe you bought one that you weren't exactly looking for. Fuzzes also react differently to different amps and different settings on the amps. Fuzz with a dirty tone can sound good or bad depending on how you get your dirty tone and how dirty it is. All I can say is to look for clips of the pedal to see if it actually does what you want it to do. And then experiment with all of the volume and gain knobs in your rig.
I did look at heaps of different clips on youtube and also read alot of reviews, i guess ill just keep trying different things till i can get what im after, or if not i might have a look at another pedal, maybe a way huge swollen pickle.
Quote by locchyman
Hi, at the moment I have a MXR classic 108 fuzz and cant seem to get any tones i like from it. I use a Blackstar HT 50 head with Blackstar 2x12 cab. Im using it through the clean channel. I brought a Mooer Green mile overdrive pedal and have tried to use that after the fuzz to see if that will improve the tone but it just seems to get very messy. Ive even tried it through the overdrive channel on my amp but this doesnt seem to be any better.

Ive tried everything I can think of that might improve the tone but any suggestions would be great, thanks.

when stacking dirt pedals, your signal will take on the characteristic of the last pedal. so running a fuzz into an overdrive will generally sound very shitty. try running the overdrive into the fuzz and clicking the buffer on the mxr.
that did work, putting the overdrive infront of the fzz then turning on the buffer, but it lost a lot of its fuzz. I tried a lot of different combinations of just the fuzz and i think ive found a nice tone finally, i just had to play around a fair bit with the tone on the clean channel and fuzz on the pedal. thanks for the advice though
my rule of a thumb is that I want most of my fuzz to be the first in the chain (except one, which is after quite a few pedals, with buffers and whatnot, but with an overdrive it gives me natural octave up so I'm totally happy with that one). Even the 2nd fuzz that I have 3th in the track has only true bypass pedals before it so it doesn't get a buffer altering the tone.

but yeah, that's a fuzzm 1st in the chain, another one 3rd in the chain, another one in the middle. You never have enough of fuzz
Isn't the mxr classic fuzz based on a fuzz face? Those sound good with a slightly distorted tone. Turn the gain down on the dirty channel so there's a little breakup. Turn the level way up and adjust the fuzz accordingly on the pedal. You might get good results like that.
I tried using the Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker (the white and green one) on a comparable combo amp (HT60) and it was quite the disaster. It was a quite old one that I'd borrowed from my brother who was using it for Bass (to be clear here, it was the guitar one, my brother eschewes bass-only pedals). Haven't gone back since, but I was wandering if anyone had experience with the original BMuff, what kind of amps it gets on with and how reliable it is. I like that it's true bypass, that's a pretty big requirement for me.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Isn't the mxr classic fuzz based on a fuzz face? Those sound good with a slightly distorted tone. Turn the gain down on the dirty channel so there's a little breakup. Turn the level way up and adjust the fuzz accordingly on the pedal. You might get good results like that.

+1

have just enough dirt in the amp tone to warm things up a bit, and the kick in the fuzz. that way it still sounds pretty fuzzy, but doesn't have the harsh square bee-in-a-jamjar edge to the tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?