Yamaha THR10X!

Arrived yesterday and I only had about half an hour with it so far, but I'm already very impressed.

It has 8 "models", which are:

"Power I": Apparently based on the ENGL Powerball's lower gain channel. Kind of a smoother modern kind of tone but not overly bassy or scooped.

"Power II": Higher gain channel of the Powerball, but fatter and with more gain, great lead tone.

"Brown I": EVH-tone quite obviously. Thick, saturated high gain Marshall type of tone. On lower gain settings it's a great classic rock tone as well. Only thing I'm missing here is maybe a bit more bite, but I might be able to get that with the enhanced editing options through my PC.

"Brown II": Modern EVH. More low-middy, think the "Unlawful"-era Van Halen.

"Southern Hi": Buzzsaw-ish, Pantera-style metal tones. Very solid-state-ish sounding, but in a great way as it's just nasty sounding without being thin or sterile, lots of character. Also works great for ZZ Top and gritty blues-rock in general on lower gain settings.

"Clean": Pretty nice clean tone, very clean with the gain set lower, really saturates and gets all fuzzy with the gain and master up high, quite awesome for an amp that I originally thought focuses on high gain only.

"Bass" and "Flat" are pretty self-explicatory.

You also have your "standard" kind of effects, which are Chorus, Phaser, Flanger, Tremolo, Delay, Delay+Reverb, Spring(reverb) and Hall(reverb). All of them sound very nice as well, only thing I wish it did better is the Phaser. It's nice, but it could be a bit more Phase 90-ish sounding.

Overall tone and response are great. Very tube-like, cleans up very nicely, sounds unbelievable for the price and especially the size. The Gain and Master controls are great to get a great range of tones out of ANY of the amp models, the EQ isn't the most responsive I've heard, but it definitely changes the tone noticably and the amp models cover pretty much everything in terms of tone-stacks except a Dual-Rectifier (which I actually don't miss though).

Compared to the Standard THR10 and THR10C I found this one to be the best for me and I also found the X to be the probably most versatile of the bunch. It can IMO cover a lot of ground, all amp models are very nice sounding and usable.

However, the THR10 is probably the best for beginners and if you're really into blues to classic rock the THR10C is great for that.

I'm really loving this little thing, to me it's the best bedroom practice amp out there and I can only recommend it to anyone who needs something like that. Yamaha really created something awesome with this line of amps.

Tomorrow I'll record some clips BTW, so stay tuned!
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
hey can you make a clean clip sound as "srv" fendery as possible please? neck/middle pup position.

also, generally do you think power I and II sound better (or maybe clearer) than brown I and II?
i thought that from the clips i've heard of it, but they are limited. stores by me don't carry the "X" or "C" versions yet.

strongly considering one of these for the g/f's place.

HNAD!
@greg: I'm open to any kind of clip requests, I'll do my best.
You are catching me a couple of weeks before another pickup swap which might have made the SRV-clip a bit harder to do.

To me the Brown models sound kinda punchier than the Power settings, but I still have to play around with the Editor more. Already found some pretty killer presets and realised how damn versatile and great sounding the Southern Hi model can actually be.

As I said, tomorrow is time for some clips.

EDIT: Already did one today for the Rob Chappers forums as I found a preset that reminded me a lot of Dorje (Chappers' current band):

https://soundcloud.com/mrvaroudy/yamaha-thr10x-dorje-ish
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Last edited by JesusCrisp at May 25, 2013,
These amps of Yamaha's have been getting good reviews recently, but ow tube like is the response? Is the tube tone comparable to a Peavey Vypyr?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
This is a whole other level than a Vypyr, both in response and tone.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Play us some Since I've Been Loving You on it.

HNAD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by JesusCrisp
This is a whole other level than a Vypyr, both in response and tone.

HNAD! Looking forward to the clips.