Hello, i have an USB audio interface. my question is if its possible to connect my amp to audio interface and hear myself on PC (cubase)? i want to hear the sound of the amp. Do i have to connect it to line out or phone? is there a problem with impendance?
You can use a line out if your amp has one, but it won't be a true reflection of your amp's sound as it won't have the speaker in the chain. You can get plugins that simulate a cab, but you might be better off investing in a decent mic to record your amp with - there's no point trying to simulate a sound you already have.

Also, whatever you do make sure the speaker is still connected when you're running through your line out. Using your amp without a speaker connected would not be very clever.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If your amp DOESN'T have a line out then you can use the speaker output as long as you have a load box of some kind.

For example, I have a little box that creates a load but also allows me to plug into my interface. All the box ACTUALLY is is a speaker that is cut up and glued to be completely solid so it doesn't make a sound.

It prevents my amp from exploding ^_^
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Why not purchase an inexpensive microphone, such as the Shure SM-57? You can plug that into your interface and mic the cab. They make small mic stands for miking cabs. This is how studios record guitarists - they place a mic in front of the cab or speaker and capture its sound. Placing the mic in front of the cab is half the fun of tracking. The Shure SM-57 is a very popular studio mic for this purpose.

Do not plug the output of your amp directly into the input of the interface. You'll let out all the magic smoke from the amp and the interface. Very, very bad.

Edit: Here a photo of the type of stand I use to mic my cabs. The mic in the photo is the EV RE-20. The stand is from JamStands, which can be purchased from ZZounds, Musician's Friend and others.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/KG6_Steven/pictures/gear/1099702/
Last edited by KG6_Steven at May 25, 2013,
I just run the effects loop send into my interface. You'll still need a load connected to your amp, so leave the cabinet plugged in. I can turn the master on my amp down to remove the speaker cab sound and still get sound into my interface this way, but I think this depends on the amp. Your master may control both "output" if you get my drift...
Only problem with using the effects loop, is you're not getting the coloration from the output tubes (if any), cabinet and speaker. The cabinet and speaker have a large impact on the tone from an amp. However, if you're only looking to get a signal into your interface and don't really care about the tone, it'll do.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Only problem with using the effects loop, is you're not getting the coloration from the output tubes (if any), cabinet and speaker. The cabinet and speaker have a large impact on the tone from an amp. However, if you're only looking to get a signal into your interface and don't really care about the tone, it'll do.

Quite. I should have mentioned I basically only do this because the preamp on my interface is utter wank.