Hi I'm in need of about two or three peddles. My amp just screeches like a banshee when turned up and i kind of want to get rid some of the hiss. do i just stick a noise suppressor in the front or in the effects loop? im also looking for some boost or overdrive pedals for metal solos.thanks
Way Huge Green Rhino for your boost, and what he said for your noise trouble.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
thanks for the info on how to run the noise suppresor. and should i run an overdrive because im already almost out of headroom?boost is the way to go or what?
what amp is it?

it'd also be worth figuring out if the noise you're getting is normal high gain noise (in which case a noise suppressor/gate is probably the way to go) or indicative of something wrong (in which case, fix the fault, don't just use a band-aid like a noise gate).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
right so i'm guessing it's a supro? (you could make it a bit easier if you'd actually give out a bit more info, i had to google about 10 things to finally find out what you have when you could have just told me )

just because the pickups are potted doesn't mean they're not microphonic- they might be incorrectly potted or the potting could have come loose (things can go wrong, in other words). If you can try another guitar, that'd be worth doing.

tubes (i think it's normally the preamp ones which go microphonic? don't quote me on that, though) could be microphonic- again, if you can try other tubes, it'd be worth doing.

As frank says, if you're in a small, enclosed space and really cranking the thing, some squealing probably is normal...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
alright ima try what you said i don't know that much about the amp besides some of the basic specs so sorry. i am playing in my living room so i'll try the garage and see what happens. the tubes haven't been replaced as far as i know but i haven't put a gate on it before so that might fix it.
no worries

cables can also add noise- whether they'd make it squeal or not, i dunno, but crappier/cheaper cables often are noisier. I suppose shielding your guitar might help too with the noise (but again, whether it'd actually make the thing squeal or just add a bit of background noise, i dunno).

It's just a matter of trying to eliminate as many variables as possible to try to find the culprit, and determining whether it's just "normal" noise (which you'll have to put up with or use a gate for) or something specific which is faulty which can be replaced.

Regarding the overdrive question you asked earlier- it depends. If your amp is already distorting, then yeah, as you suggested, adding an OD on top of that will just increase the amount of distortion and saturation, not really the amount of volume. it'd probably be worth a try, though, you can get decent ods for not very much money, and if you've never tried an OD you might not know what you're missing.

if you want more of a volume boost, you could try a clean boost pedal in the fx loop (assuming your amp has an fx loop)- but again that'll only work if your amp has some (power amp) headroom left.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?