Hey UG,

check out this latest tune I did with a friend of mine. It's a kind of Djentish side-project with a healthy dosis of groove. Check the youtube video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dReF0D5geWA

Any form of feedback would be appreciated since we're still new to the whole recording and video recording thing.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
The intro is mysterious and warming, good build up to the distortion that comes in. The clean tone is very warm. Also like the bass drop right before the distortion guitar comes in. Adds lots of character. The technique at 1:05 is really unique - I don't think I've ever seen that before! I love the sort of dissonant feeling the lead gives at around 1:30, along with around 2:00 for the interlude/solo/outro, too. All in all, really great track, and you've earned a subscriber. Might have wanted to see more of a music video for the track, but I understand that it may not always be easy to do such, and this is a better alternative.

If you get a second, feel free to check out my album, "Gatsby":
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1603041
Really like the technique and mood of this! Some great riffs and really nice technical things in those fills. The drum track is pretty decent. The extra layer kicking in is really cool, and the clean riffs in that outro section are really awesome man! Overall I thought it was a great track with an interesting mood!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31496704#post31496704
When you get the chance.
Well that guitar has a cool fret board. I'm not big on metal, but this really does sound great. Sounds very professional and exactly how I think you want it to sound so I don't know what to really tell you. The clean crazy arpeggios thing halfway through the heavy part made the mix a little muddy I would try to clean that up. Also the last note of the heavy chord could of been sustained for a lot longer than it was, made it a little anticlimactic. But yeah, other than that, really good job. Thanks for the crit!
Thank so much for your in-depth review of two of my songs.

I really liked the clean chord embellishments (as well as your choice of chord voicing) in your intro. The distorted choppy rhythm guitar parts were a cool added effect to give it some major groove. The rhythm was also very tight, with almost no trace of crossover from not being tight with each other. Duel tracking my own rhythms left and right has taught how to really listen for that, and the whole song is very tight.

That main riff after the intro at about :39 had this really cool sound almost kind of like Becoming the Dragon by Trivium, which I used to be a HUGE fan of. Love the ambiance that gets added to your riffing at 1:30ish.

It comes back to the duel clean parts near the end (which also strangely sounds like a cleaner version of Becoming the Dragon's outro, ), but why must your song be so short!!! This could've easily added another 2-3 minutes of serious riffage if you chose to use that outro as kind of an interlude instead, and REALLY pick up the intensity after that!

Everything sounds great, I just wish there was more. I'm a firm believer that if you're gonna have a song under 3 min, it better be fast and brutal, and it better not fade out on a clean part It's still freaking great, but you could really make this outstanding if you kept adding to this. Perhaps you have a similar song to this, that's also fairly short? Ever thought about combining the two songs (if done tastefully of course).

Hope you give it some thought, cause this song could be EPIC is you do.
Last edited by bdof at May 28, 2013,
Hey thanks all for your reactions, opinions and insights. It's really lovely to read all of your kind words (:.

@Jready, yeah the video probably needs more work, but we still need to get used to filming and such. We're hoping to be able to use a different camera for next videos and do some more interesting stuff.

The sound we do at 1:05 is a rake with muted strings. It's like we move our pick over the strings so that upon touching the pick acts as a fret. But a really high up fret so it makes a high sound. Altough that will get you really close to the sound played, we went the extra mile for the recording and used a screwdriver for the sound :p. The metal over metal really gives it that sharp piercing edge.

@Rockfan7 , haha my friend just put tape over his inlays (He a long long time ago, bought the Kirk Hammet LTD model, with the cheezy skeleton head inlays. But by now he's not into Metallica any more so he decided to just tape them off). And yeah I agree with that party being muddy but that was really hard to mix because you've got 6 guitars competing for the same frequencies (rhythm is quad-tracked, and there are 2 guitars for texture) so eventually we just settled for this because it was such a pain in the ass.

@bdof No problems for the review. I enjoy doing reviews and to be honest I don't really put that much time into them, I just write down anything that comes to mind while listening. Which for some things is a lot. Thanks for the compliments on the tightness, we actually quad-tracked the thing which was quit do-able with 2 guitarists since we both only were responsible for a tight dual track. And then that dual track had to be tight with the other guy's playing, but we've been playing together for 5 years or so so that's not a big problem.

I'm not very familiar with Trivium's material, but I've already had older songs from completely different projects/bands I did compared to Trivium so perhaps I should check them out some more since they seem to have some overlap. And yeah the song might have been longer but we were going for a kind of short proof-of-concept thing. We wanted something we could easily finish and polish, and something that would be a bit digestable to "outsider's" to the genre because our primairy listeners at this point would be our facebook friends haha.

The song really got a positive buzz going which really made me happy. Got-djent (Website that writes news about anything djent related) shared the song as a "headline" which I'm pretty proud of . My friend (the other guy in the video) also sent the video to Textures guitarist Bart Hennephof (he tries adding every musician he enjoys as a facebook friend) and even he said the video was nice, which is quite a feed to be proud of too.

Tl;dr: Thanks for your reactions. You'll be hearing more from us. Feel free to still share your thoughts on the song/mix/video so that we can make upcoming tracks even better.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Lol Thall...must be a Vildjharta fan. Really like the eastern tonal approach overall, I also write music heavily influenced in that regard. The clean tone is extremely fitting and sounds great, good overall mix, interesting songwritting as well. I really don't have many negatives to point out, it's just a good song lol. I feel like the guitars are slightly on the harsh side, but not in a way that ruins the song, and of course tone is subjective, but try playing with the EQing a bit, see if you can get the guitars to be slightly smoother in the high end

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31515859#post31515859
Music must be honest to be timeless.
Ooh, love that intro--those chords.
Wait....I was expecting a 7 string with those low notes, but I see a 6 string guitar there. What tuning are you using?
Solid mix. Well balanced. Drum programming is solid, but for my tastes I would bring up the drums just a tad bit, but that's just me.
Nice outro too. Could you go to my thread and leave a comment there: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1602769
Last edited by mattmakaha at Jun 1, 2013,
Quote by mattmakaha
Ooh, love that intro--those chords.
Wait....I was expecting a 7 string with those low notes, but I see a 6 string guitar there. What tuning are you using?
Solid mix. Well balanced. Drum programming is solid, but for my tastes I would bring up the drums just a tad bit, but that's just me.
Nice outro too. Could you go to my thread and leave a comment there: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1602769

It's a 6-string tuned to drop B. So we basically get as low as a 7-string. We have been thinking about going 7 string is, but we felt that a 7 string is not necesairy if you only want the extra low range. It only get's benefitial when you want the extra low range while keeping your high range.

Thanks for your comments again. Next song is going to sound killer with all your advice . We actually wanted to have the last song finished by now and we've written a very awesome song already, but we've had writers block for writing an intro for it for the last month..... We also might have a drummer on our next track so we're kind of waiting out how that'll go. Don't want to scare the drummer away with the new track yet because it has this wicked 11/8 over 4/4 groove that'll make his face go all Thomas Haake.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4