I am going to college this year for a major music recording, I currently have a very basic setup and just 1 mic (audix i5). I am wondering what gear I could get now that will be useful (even modded) later in my career sub $200 new or used.

I mostly record my cab and a Djembe and cajon and sometimes vocals. What I feel I need most now is a mic with good bass response for electric guitar and vocals.

Currently I have an io2 interface, ableton 8, cubase 5, headphone monitors and various stands.

TLDR: cheaper equipment that even pros would use, special interest in mics with bass. (Was looking at Mxl 990 and 440 and akg 120)
Have a look at the following mics. They are typically used in pro recording studios.

Shure SM-57
Shure SM-58
ElectroVoice RE-20 (used)
Shure SM-7B (used)
Nady SCM900
CAD CM217
CAD E70
With an i5 you don't need a Shure SM-57 or SM-58 right now. They're so close it doesn't make sense to spend your money on almost the same gear. The Shure Sm-7B isn't great for vocals unless you're doing screams or a radio show. I use a Behringer B1. I'm planning to upgrade soon, but it's served me quite well. It doesn't add any coloration and doesn't sound bad at all. I recommend it. I know people hate Behringer (well deserved I might add) for quality, but this mic is actually good for the price range. If you know how to eq and compress and record in a properly treated room with a good singer, the mic will not hold you back.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
You have a solid dynamic mic, now you want a Large Diaphragm Condenser, and maybe a Small Diaphragm Condenser or two. I would check out the Audio Technica AT2020 for an LDC, and maybe a pair of Behringer C2's
Apparently the AT2020 actually has a smaller capsule and is considered medium sized, and looking at the freq response it might not pair well with my i5
Quote by OfCourseNot
With an i5 you don't need a Shure SM-57 or SM-58 right now. They're so close it doesn't make sense to spend your money on almost the same gear. The Shure Sm-7B isn't great for vocals unless you're doing screams or a radio show. I use a Behringer B1. I'm planning to upgrade soon, but it's served me quite well. It doesn't add any coloration and doesn't sound bad at all. I recommend it. I know people hate Behringer (well deserved I might add) for quality, but this mic is actually good for the price range. If you know how to eq and compress and record in a properly treated room with a good singer, the mic will not hold you back.

Same only I am (sometimes still) using a C1 :p
Quote by OfCourseNot
The Shure Sm-7B isn't great for vocals unless you're doing screams or a radio show. .

Yeah, the SM7 only got used for vocals on the best selling album of all time so no doubt this piece of information is factually accurate.
Owen - Sound Engineer - Mixing & Editing Available, PM for details.
It was also used on this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkJrBBD3xpE

Inb4: BUT THAT'S NOT THE MIC IN THE VIDEO

¬_¬

What the SM7 ISN'T good at though, is working well unless you have a good and hot pre-amp from what I've heard.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at May 28, 2013,