basically, I'm playing indie rock music, and don't want to lug around a whole bunch of individual pieces of gear, so i want to put it all into a rack system for consistency and control. I am planning on getting a vox style pre amp and a marshall style pre amp to run together into a stereo power amp. (salvation mods pre amps, then have a shelf with my pedals and a patch bay w/midi controller for effects switching, and wireless system) and since I cannot find any Marshall power amps or even mesa boogie for sale (new) I was wondering if any of you knew what would work best. I want EL-34, around 50 watts per channel. I can't find any demos on youtube of anything thats not super high gain metal. I want it to be a fairly clean/slightly overdriven setup. Any suggestions?
All the power amp does is amplify your signal and determine your headroom. It doesn't have anything to do with genre.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^Not quite true, they color the sound just a bit and some even have EQ settings. I know what you're saying though, there isn't a power amp out that was specifically designed to play nothing but metal. Besides, metal tones are derived almost entirely from the preamp.

I had a Peavey Classic 60/60 (older non-EQ model) and really enjoyed it. I ran an ADA MP-1 through it and with a clean setting I could dime it with a nice hint of breakup. They're more of a Marshally type power amp I believe. Built like tanks and looks like they would be easy to work on if something happened, the 60W model goes for around $250-300.

This is the later style they put out, each channel has a control for volume, presence, and resonance. I did just fine with the older style with a volume control.

Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at May 25, 2013,
Yeah, I didn't mean to say that it didn't have any tonal affect at all, just that no particular power amp has nearly enough of an effect to be "good" or "bad" for any particular style.

I like the newer 50/50 a lot more, it's much more space efficient, on top of having more features.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Cathbard

Good call! That's what I was going to post too.

The ADA probably wouldn't be bad either. If you can find one...
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
ADA made a power amp? That would be interesting..
It seems the Peavey Classic PA with an ADA MP-1 was a very popular combo. I bought that setup (along with a Midiverb 4 and Sonic Maximizer) from the original owner for about $225. I was very surprised on how versatile the ADA was with the gigantic controller, with a few preamp mods it would have been an incredibly powerful rig.

EDIT: I guess they did, that's news to me. I thought all they produced was the MP-1 and MP-2 (along with the foot controller).
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at May 26, 2013,