Not sure if this is the right subforum to put this in, but hey.

So I have guitar with a hardtail bridge, strat style (minus the trem), and my strings keep breaking at the saddle, most frequently the A string. I recently changed to String Saver saddles to try and fix this, but alas, two weeks after putting them on and new strings, the A string has broken again.

I use D'addario 10s, my action is as low as possible without excessive buzz, and my next appears to be straight to me. I use to use 11s and the problem was still there. What the hell do I do, I'm breaking strings every two weeks, sometimes every week, and I'm going a bit insane.

Any help is very much appreciated.
Last edited by minieme007 at May 26, 2013,
My guess is a burr- I had one one of my Deans and was breaking strings pretty damn regularly. I took it to a tech who found it (I couldn't see it) and polished it. No breaks for quite a while after that.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
My guess is a burr- I had one one of my Deans and was breaking strings pretty damn regularly. I took it to a tech who found it (I couldn't see it) and polished it. No breaks for quite a while after that.
That's what I assumed, until I changed to the string savers (they're made of graphite if you're unaware of them)
Are you sure they are breaking at the saddle and not underneath (through the body)?
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Just checked with the broken string, definitely looks like it was right on the saddle. I don't know if this little bit will help but it's done the thing where the outer wire coil thingy has come unwound from the inner one
What kind of strings are you using?

Sounds to me like somewhere along the line you are getting a small kink in the string and that is causing it to unravel and break.

I would look over the saddles with a magnifying glass and smooth out any sharp edges or burrs with some 600 grit sandpaper.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Just your regular D'Addario 10s. I can't see anything on the saddle even with a magnifying glass, can feel anything either. Could there be an issue with the strings coming straight up through the body and then making basically a 90 degree angle (on a curve of course) where they hit the saddles? I feel that's the issue but don't see any way of remedying that.
With out good pictures its going to be hard to help.

I had a run of bad Daddarios once, it seemed like about 5 packs had bunk A strings.
Maybe they were counterfit or just old. Maybe that's the issue if you have a 10 pack or a case.

They have changed the serial number system a few times over the years. So its kinda hard to tell unless you have an internet phone and can check before you buy them.

And the funny thing is , I got some strings from a career jazz player in town for cheap, he has cases and cases of strings, I know they are old but they have been the longest lasting strings I have had in a while. So maybe Daddario is getting cheap just like everything else????
What the hell!!!
Are you using any lube on your nut and saddles? And yes the break angle on the saddle could be causing that type of breakage also
What the hell!!!
I'm not using any lube, both my nut and saddles are graphite so I didn't think it was necessary. I might try switching my bridge out for a top load one, see what that does. I'm really hoping I did just get a few bad packs of strings though, I've ordered some Ernie Balls so maybe that will fix it.
Even new saddles need to be fitted/filed for good fit. If the string is only supported by a small portion of the V it will put too much pressure and focus it in one spot thus causing it to break.
What the hell!!!
Clean your strings, it sounds like your getting corrosion where your palm some times rests on the saddle. either get coated strings or wipe your strings down with something like GHS fast fret

The oils/sweat from your hand will corrode and weaken the inner core and that will cause them to break
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 26, 2013,
When you put the new strings on, are you bending them? What I mean is, due to the string-through design you have a 90 degree angle which I'm sure you pointed out. When you load the new strings in, pull them all the way through and bend them over the saddle. This should reinforce their strength over the saddle and has worked for me for years. I do it with every bridge type.

Also do a 90 degree bend in the tuner too. Though this isn't your area of concern, pull the string through the tuner, turn it so the hole in the tuner is 90 degrees to the string, and bend the string round the tuner where you want the slack to be.

Lastly make sure you're stretching your strings.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.