Right, so I've been learning guitar for 12 years now and the stumbling block that has hit me hard is remembering the different pentaonic scales all over the neck for soloing. The root 6 scale and root 5 scales I'm good with, and when I sit down and physically think about them I can do them but when in the moment of soloing I just completely forget once I'm out of the root 6 position what the fingering pattern is and it's driving me a bit bonkers. Any help? I know it is just a matter of practice and patience, but it's annoying.
Forget about the shapes. Instead, learn the notes of the fretboard and learn the scales as a series of notes and intervals. Then, anywhere that you find the notes of the scale, you can play that scale.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Forget about the shapes. Instead, learn the notes of the fretboard and learn the scales as a series of notes and intervals. Then, anywhere that you find the notes of the scale, you can play that scale.

Actually I don't think that's the issue this time.

Quote by ellen82
Right, so I've been learning guitar for 12 years now and the stumbling block that has hit me hard is remembering the different pentaonic scales all over the neck for soloing. The root 6 scale and root 5 scales I'm good with, and when I sit down and physically think about them I can do them but when in the moment of soloing I just completely forget once I'm out of the root 6 position what the fingering pattern is and it's driving me a bit bonkers. Any help? I know it is just a matter of practice and patience, but it's annoying.

The problem with not applying things you "know" when you're actually playing is that you don't know them well enough. To really use things you know when you're playing you have to know them so well it doesn't take any thought to play them physically. You need to make the bridge between thought and action as small as possible and that's a matter of repetition.

Be careful though, you don't want to just robotically throw out licks, make sure you know the sound of everything you do, that way you can think of what you want to do based on the sound you want to achieve and play ideas appropriately.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah, I did grade 8 on piano and grade 5 theory, but that was years ago so I know all about scales and getting the "feel" of the scales in your fingers, now learnt guitar for the last 12 years and really appreciate watching soloists riff and improvise all over the neck without thinking because you know the hard work that must have been put in to get to that stage.
Wow, been sat on the couch for the last 3 days with my guitar glued to me just improving and I've pretty much nailed remembering the notes in most areas on the neck, well, in E anyway. Been jamming in different keys too to get the shapes stuck in my memory. Holy crap! This shit works!