Pink
5 4%
Peach
1 1%
Black
15 13%
Voters: 120.
Page 1 of 2
I like the psychology of colors. It wasn't until I started thinking about it recently from an mv called Yellow Jacket about how the color yellow was emotionally important that I started to think about the properties of other colors. I'm not sure why it is but I like colors a lot and I'll always express whether I like a color whenever I see something I like. These are typically pastel winter colors or anything mixed in with white. Lately, I've been taking to the color yellow which is not something I usually like - I've changed my desktop and clothing to a yellow theme as well - I'm feeling kinda yellow at the moment.

In before Bold is Love (I don't even like that song)...here are a few characteristics of what the basic colors are supposed to represent:

BLUE. Intellectual.
Positive: Intelligence, communication, trust, efficiency, serenity, duty, logic, coolness, reflection, calm.
Negative: Coldness, aloofness, lack of emotion, unfriendliness.
Blue is the color of the mind and is essentially soothing; it affects us mentally, rather than the physical reaction we have to red. Strong blues will stimulate clear thought and lighter, soft blues will calm the mind and aid concentration. Consequently it is serene and mentally calming. It is the color of clear communication. Blue objects do not appear to be as close to us as red ones. Time and again in research, blue is the world's favourite color. However, it can be perceived as cold, unemotional and unfriendly.

YELLOW. Emotional
Positive: Optimism, confidence, self-esteem, extraversion, emotional strength, friendliness, creativity.
Negative: Irrationality, fear, emotional fragility, depression, anxiety, suicide.
The yellow wavelength is relatively long and essentially stimulating. In this case the stimulus is emotional, therefore yellow is the strongest color, psychologically. The right yellow will lift our spirits and our self-esteem; it is the color of confidence and optimism. Too much of it, or the wrong tone in relation to the other tones in a color scheme, can cause self-esteem to plummet, giving rise to fear and anxiety. Our "yellow streak" can surface.

GREEN. Balance
Positive: Harmony, balance, refreshment, universal love, rest, restoration, reassurance, environmental awareness, equilibrium, peace.
Negative: Boredom, stagnation, blandness, enervation.
Green strikes the eye in such a way as to require no adjustment whatever and is, therefore, restful. Being in the centre of the spectrum, it is the color of balance - a more important concept than many people realise. When the world about us contains plenty of green, this indicates the presence of water, and little danger of famine, so we are reassured by green, on a primitive level. Negatively, it can indicate stagnation and, incorrectly used, will be perceived as being too bland.

VIOLET. Spiritual
Positive: Spiritual awareness, containment, vision, luxury, authenticity, truth, quality.
Negative: Introversion, decadence, suppression, inferiority.
The shortest wavelength is violet, often described as purple. It takes awareness to a higher level of thought, even into the realms of spiritual values. It is highly introvertive and encourages deep contemplation, or meditation. It has associations with royalty and usually communicates the finest possible quality. Being the last visible wavelength before the ultra-violet ray, it has associations with time and space and the cosmos. Excessive use of purple can bring about too much introspection and the wrong tone of it communicates something cheap and nasty, faster than any other color.

ORANGE.
Positive: Physical comfort, food, warmth, security, sensuality, passion, abundance, fun.
Negative: Deprivation, frustration, frivolity, immaturity.
Since it is a combination of red and yellow, orange is stimulating and reaction to it is a combination of the physical and the emotional. It focuses our minds on issues of physical comfort - food, warmth, shelter etc. - and sensuality. It is a 'fun' color. Negatively, it might focus on the exact opposite - deprivation. This is particularly likely when warm orange is used with black. Equally, too much orange suggests frivolity and a lack of serious intellectual values.

PINK.
Positive: Physical tranquillity, nurture, warmth, femininity, love, sexuality, survival of the species.
Negative: Inhibition, emotional claustrophobia, emasculation, physical weakness.
Being a tint of red, pink also affects us physically, but it soothes, rather than stimulates. (Interestingly, red is the only color that has an entirely separate name for its tints. Tints of blue, green, yellow, etc. are simply called light blue, light greenetc.) Pink is a powerful color, psychologically. It represents the feminine principle, and survival of the species; it is nurturing and physically soothing. Too much pink is physically draining and can be somewhat emasculating.

GREY.
Positive: Psychological neutrality.
Negative: Lack of confidence, dampness, depression, hibernation, lack of energy.
Pure grey is the only color that has no direct psychological properties. It is, however, quite suppressive. A virtual absence of color is depressing and when the world turns grey we are instinctively conditioned to draw in and prepare for hibernation. Unless the precise tone is right, grey has a dampening effect on other colors used with it. Heavy use of grey usually indicates a lack of confidence and fear of exposure.

BLACK.
Positive: Sophistication, glamour, security, emotional safety, efficiency, substance.
Negative: Oppression, coldness, menace, heaviness.
Black is all colors, totally absorbed. The psychological implications of that are considerable. It creates protective barriers, as it absorbs all the energy coming towards you, and it enshrouds the personality. Black is essentially an absence of light, since no wavelengths are reflected and it can, therefore be menacing; many people are afraid of the dark. Positively, it communicates absolute clarity, with no fine nuances. It communicates sophistication and uncompromising excellence and it works particularly well with white. Black creates a perception of weight and seriousness.

WHITE.
Positive: Hygiene, sterility, clarity, purity, cleanness, simplicity, sophistication, efficiency.
Negative: Sterility, coldness, barriers, unfriendliness, elitism.
Just as black is total absorption, so white is total reflection. In effect, it reflects the full force of the spectrum into our eyes. Thus it also creates barriers, but differently from black, and it is often a strain to look at. It communicates, "Touch me not!" White is purity and, like black, uncompromising; it is clean, hygienic, and sterile. The concept of sterility can also be negative. Visually, white gives a heightened perception of space. The negative effect of white on warm colors is to make them look and feel garish.

BROWN.
Positive: Seriousness, warmth, Nature, earthiness, reliability, support.
Negative: Lack of humour, heaviness, lack of sophistication.

Brown usually consists of red and yellow, with a large percentage of black. Consequently, it has much of the same seriousness as black, but is warmer and softer. It has elements of the red and yellow properties. Brown has associations with the earth and the natural world. It is a solid, reliable color and most people find it quietly supportive - more positively than the ever-popular black, which is suppressive, rather than supportive.

Somehow I can't even begin to understand how people can attach certain characteristics with colors - for example, we're always taught what black (darkness), red (warning) and white (natural) generally mean due to customs and norms but I can't place why that is.

tl;dr - I like colors a lot, particularly pastel winter colors and lately yellow. My favorite base colors are probably yellow and green. I love things like perfume liquid colors and bottles. I've only included the main colors - I didn't include grey or violet as I think that they're maybe derivatives of Black and Blue, arguably but thought that Peach and Pink are colors which probably won't be close enough to orange/red with varying intensity degrees - maybe I'm wrong , either way, not enough poll options.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at May 26, 2013,
Whilst I don't agree with some of the things you said about colours being created (i.e. brown has a lot of black - you can create brown with just the primary colours just like all the others - including grey) I do kind of get the same feel as you.

I love water colours and pastels also. Cooler pastel blues and warmish pastel yellows with a bit more red in them are some of my favourites.

I really need to start painting again soon.. I need to buy some canvas
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
Green is the best closely followed by purple

truth but it's the other way round

wait. Why isn't purple in your poll
cat
Sorry, not enough poll options with a maximum of 10.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Cyan

No wait, teal

No wait, jungle green

No wait, turquoise

No wait, persian green...

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at May 26, 2013,
But peach is lower than purple on the color hierarchy

I'm voting pink cuz im wearing pink shorts atm but I don't like being around one color for too long. I like colorful things
cat
Well this thread really isn't about your favourite color but more about why colors seem to have conscious characteristics. I contemplated about puting in pink but favored peach - purple is sorta blue anyway...
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at May 26, 2013,
Blue and Orange are my favourite colours.

Orange feels warm to me, whereas I just like Blue for reasons I don't know.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Pink is punk so...

But saying that most days im wearing all blue
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Last edited by cha33 armstrong at May 26, 2013,
Quote by Harmonius
The shortest wavelength is violet, often described as purple. It takes awareness to a higher level of thought, even into the realms of spiritual values. It is highly introvertive and encourages deep contemplation, or meditation. It has associations with royalty and usually communicates the finest possible quality. Being the last visible wavelength before the ultra-violet ray, it has associations with time and space and the cosmos. Excessive use of purple can bring about too much introspection and the wrong tone of it communicates something cheap and nasty, faster than any other color.

This is getting pretty far-fetched. Where's the evidence of these associations (other than the obvious sky = blue stuff)?
Quote by Harmonius
Well this thread really isn't about your favourite color but more about why colors seem to have conscious characteristics. I contemplated about puting in pink but favored peach - purple is sorta blue anyway...

True.

I don't know if it's because it's my favorite or because of the inherent properties of the color itself but I find purple very comforting. I generally don't like pastels as much because they don't seem to have as much depth, so I don't look at them as much. Except for orangey shades (like peach!)
cat
Graphic design students are taught about the associated meanings of color in different colors, along with shapes too.

Blue is my favorite color for both it's positive and negative aspects.
black has always been my favorite colour

i never really pay attentio to them though i wish i did it seems like something that can be very beutiful but it nevr really stood out to me

shapes on the other hand...
The psychology behind 'color' is that America is a fairly young country and youth desires to individuate itself and establish itself as independent, which Americans have subsequently attempted to achieve by spelling words wrong, in this case the word 'colour'.
lol
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by Masquirina
Why is green not winning?

How can one even "red"? I don't even.

The red Power Ranger was the leader. The Red Army helped defeat Hitler. Pokemon Red was the best version.

Red runs the world, "green" smokes weed and watches from a beanbag chair.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
The red Power Ranger was the leader. The Red Army helped defeat Hitler. Pokemon Red was the best version.

Perfectly good argument for the superior green.
I've always been a fan of blue, black, grey, purple and orange. I find that this says nothing about me.
Quote by ErikLensherr

You must be smoking green because yellow was the best pkmn
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by The_Casinator
I've always been a fan of blue, black, grey, purple and orange. I find that this says nothing about me.

Ofcourse it does. It says that you're a smart, dark, boring, homosexual Dutchman. (in that order.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Apparently red doesn't represent anything because you didn't include it in the OP.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
love

I voted Orange because I did a color test back in December and I got Orange/Green but Orange is better

EDIT: ...and I missed the point of the thread
Last edited by yoman297 at May 26, 2013,
At first I thought this was going to be a really doped up thread by jrcsgtpeppers about how colours are subjective and your blue isn't the same as my blue, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was only slightly doped up. And written coherently!

OT: The best colour is rainbow.
REGGIE
Black, red and blue are my favourite colours. Picked Red though, because I played the best Pokemon game of all time.
The awkward moment when you failed arts class.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
GREEN, as my sig, avatar, profile pic would suggest.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Yep, grey-blue is a nice color. I like this color as well.

¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Blue, Black, and Red :3
Quote by robertsanidiot
Jesus died for their sins. It would be a waste if they just didn't sin it up. If you ask me, it's almost unchristian if you DON'T eat the kiddies.
Quote by StewieSwan
Hahaha you short fuck
Quote by due 07
LOL manlet
Page 1 of 2