So here is the whole story. It has been tough finding bass players who are not already in a band around my area. So we though, instead maybe we can look for an extra guitar player and I can play extended guitar pieces, or switch to bass lines when needed. I know its not exactly the same, but it will allow us to keep composing with a full rage of sound.

So with that said.
Agile has some 9 or 10 string models for custom order but those will take until December to arrive. On the other hand, I can get an 8 string model right now without wait, but wonder if I should just go custom anyways.

Considering the amount of strings I need fanned frets to keep the higher string tension and intonation sort of natural, while keeping the low strings vibrant yet low. The 8 string has 25.5 - 27 scale.
With the custom models it could be 27 -30. An I can even choose ash instead of mahogany.

Do you guys recommend waiting, or know other companies that do this stuff for a similar price
I honestly don't think an extended range guitar is a compensation for a bass guitar. Different tonalities and bass amps are designed to produce those low frequencies much better, along with their pickups. That totally depends on your genre though. Obviously it's been done, but just think about how you're actually going to get the low string to sound bass-like.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Thats why I am considering waiting for the custom. Longer scale length, will give me better performance on the lower strings without an actual bass string. The guitar will of course be more vibrant sounding, but I've heard videos and its doable. IT will not exactly work on parts of the songs where the two guitars are on high gain. But it would let me do on parts where only one guitar is needed with a bassline next to it. A low pass filter could help too.
Get an Octave pedal or look at the Digitech Whammy DT.

Why not find a guitarist that would not mind switching between bass and guitar if you do the same?

I totally know the feeling one of my bands spent 1.5 yrs looking for a bassist. the few we found did not have equipment, so they ended up using all my gear.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get an Octave pedal or look at the Digitech Whammy DT.

Why not find a guitarist that would not mind switching between bass and guitar if you do the same?

I totally know the feeling one of my bands spent 1.5 yrs looking for a bassist. the few we found did not have equipment, so they ended up using all my gear.

Exactly the issue hehe.

I have tried pitch shifting pedals but they can't keep up with slap techniques, or much more than simple single notes for that matter.
If getting a guitar will 8 strings do for this purpose. Or should I go with 9 or 10 strings.
A guitar last a lifetime so if you can get that high quality 9 strings instead of the ''regular'' 8 strings, I recommend the first option. But then I don't know if you planed shows or recordings soon.

But on the other hand, it's true that a more stringed guitar will not replace 2 other hands on a bass.
As an owner of an 8 string guitar, I can tell you very honestly that any more strings than 8 is difficult for me to see the practicality of. I'm finding most guitar amps have a tough time making the 8th string sound "right" relative to the rest of them.
I ask because I can get:
* A very nice 8 string with fanned frets scale 27 - 28.625" right now.
* A 9 or 10 string with regular frets other than that same specs really.
* Or wait till december for a 9 or 10 string that also has fanned frets with scale range from 27 - 30".

But yeah, I am wondering...
Maybe 8 strings is enough to do the job, and regular frets won't do the job of giving both the lower strings and high strings their best performance. Its such a tough decision
Take a close look at the Variax guitars. You can alternate tune these things up to an octave down (bass range). I've got both an electric 500 model and an Acoustic 700, and I've actually tuned the bottom two strings down an octave on the Acoustic and played the top four at standard. I've had people looking ALL over for the bass player. If you've got a Pod HD500, you can store the alternate tunings (along with the guitar model, the amp model, the FX and the cab model) in user presets and change back and forth literally within an instant with one stomp.
Those variax guitars look pretty sick.

I ended just ordering the 8 string with 27 - 28.625 scale lengths (fanned frets). I found playing an 8 string at the store to be extremely uncomfortable. So that convinced it may be best to try getting used to 8 string before going for more strings.
Quote by nyandres
Those variax guitars look pretty sick.

I ended just ordering the 8 string with 27 - 28.625 scale lengths (fanned frets). I found playing an 8 string at the store to be extremely uncomfortable. So that convinced it may be best to try getting used to 8 string before going for more strings.

I definitely think you made the right choice by going with a 8 before a 9 and 10. Going from a 7 to an 8 took me quite a bit of time to get used to it (I'm still not using the 8 anywhere near its full potential even after 6 years).

As far as a fanned fret model, I think you would get a little more utility out of a 25 or 25.5- 27" scale because the highs would give you the benefit of much less slack. That being said, it should still be a great guitar and you will be getting a little more tension than I'm getting with my 27" scale Ibanez. I use really heavy strings for the E B and F# and really light strings for the e B G.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
If you want the capability to play bass and guitar lines in one instrument, a normal 8 string or even a baritone is not what you're looking for. There are 10+ stringed instruments that might do the trick, but they're not easy to play- they have very wide necks.

What might suit your needs better is something like what Charlie Hunter (and those like him) use- custom 8 strings.

Hunter's 8-strings, built by luthiers like Wes Lambe, have three normally-tuned bass strings and the top 5 strings are all guitar strings. They also have actual bass pickups for those strings, while the guitar strings use standard guitar pickups.

His 8s:
http://www.wlguitars.com/instrument/8s-blackwalnut
http://www.wlguitars.com/instrument/8s-single-piece-spalted-maple
http://www.wlguitars.com/instrument/8s

He also made a 7:
http://www.wlguitars.com/instrument/335-7s

Yes, I know these are probsbly outside your budget. But you are asking to replace a human. And someone else might be able to build you something like that at a lower price.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 27, 2013,
So got the 8 string 3 days ago. 8 strings were the right choice. Strangely enough I find myself playing it more closely to the way I play my flamenco guitar. It can sort of do the bass and guitar thing as I had expected, though extra muting is sometimes necesarry to get closer to that muted bass sound.

Anyways...its awesome ))
Woot!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Just thought I'd update this in case anyone has the same question.

I think I may just get a 9 string later, though I feel 8 string is the sweet spot for extended range. The fanned frets in the 8 string are awesome, and it really opens up a lot of possibilities for song writing. For some reason I find that to be the case especially when playing clean. Flamenco techniques allow making all sorts of cool sounds (the end result is unique )

I may just try 9 or 10 string just to give it a shot though. I kind of wish there was a 9 string with an extra higher string now.
I need to get hold of a 11 string fanned fret myself and have a massive amount of evidence that if you get the nut width and the radius correct it can be comfortable to play.

here are some specs.

25" - 30" 'E' scale (curved frets)

48 frets

strings 4g- 0F#
This thread is over a year old. Why did you bump it?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.