Is there a lot of difference between sas the taylor 214ce and 614ce other than appearance. Same with mid to upper level gibson or martin.

Is playing or tone affected noticeably
the taylor 100 and 200 series guitars have laminate backs and sides, have an all-satin finish and are made in mexico. the guitars are less resonant than the all solid guitars - the 614ce, for example, and the 100 and 200 series necks are only available with a nut width of 1 11/16", where the u.s. made taylors are also available with a 1 3/4" nut and many have ivroid binding, which i really like, rather than plastic.

i actually like the 114, but since i love a wider nut, i find that the 1 11/16" nut affects playing for me - some players prefer the slender nut, btw. some of the higher end taylors have such a beautiful tone, and the 614ce will sound different not only because it's all solid but also because of its maple back and sides. i don't know the 614 as well as the GC6, which is the same materials but slightly smaller body shape, but the GC6 is probably my favorite taylor due to the wonderful tone. some people say maple is bright, but there's more to it than that. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/taylor-gc6-maple-spruce-grand-concert-acoustic-guitar-2010-model

except for the martin X series, martins are all-solid wood and made in the u.s., although lower end all solid martins will have a different neck material and a satin finish, few appointments and different bracing. gibson doesn't really have a mid-grade, as they start at around $2000 and go up from there.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at May 26, 2013,
all that Patti said(obviously) and i'd add build quality. i have an '08 NAMM Hot Rod which is basically a really pretty 614ce. bright sounding, very deep resonant lows and mids. much more so than the lower end MIM's. i have a BTO that has the same maple back and sides(AAA instead of A) but with Engelmann top and that is much different sounding.
the 214's are a very different sound. they seem more muted comparatively...with much less resonance.
(not to hijack,,but patti, you try the spring ltd's yet? def interested in the 616ce. love to hear your opinion on it.)
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
stepchildusmc - ask me next week. i'll try and hit hwd gc and try one out.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!