OK guys,
Guy in the local guitar shop says I can order any two of these amps to demo in store;
Orange rockerverb Mkii
Blackstar Series 1 6l6
Laney Ironheart
Marshall JVM
What do you guys recon I should go for?
I love metal, but need a versatile amp because £1200 is alot of money to say that I may to play jazz in a few years.
Not bothered about the doubtless other options you will scream at me because I need to be able to try before I buy, and I wont go used ( I'm OCD like that )
Thanks!
Last edited by TJWhonley at May 26, 2013,
I would like to try Marshall JVM, with four channels and three modes per each should be enough for versatility. I would also like to try Orange, but some people say they're not very versatile. There's a lot of great amps you could buy with your money, do you have some other shops near you to take a look some other amps?
Laney VH100r
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by JackovSlayer
I would like to try Marshall JVM, with four channels and three modes per each should be enough for versatility. I would also like to try Orange, but some people say they're not very versatile. There's a lot of great amps you could buy with your money, do you have some other shops near you to take a look some other amps?

no sorry, If i order through these guys I get about 40% off (did work experience there and can get vat off)
This is a link to their site's amps; http://www.dawsons.co.uk/guitars/guitar-amps/electric-guitar-amps?dir=desc&order=price
Quote by Robbgnarly
Laney VH100r

I kind of need it to be through these guys. sorry, but thanks
(I live in Yorkshire, UK, so there are *uck all guitar shops)
The Laney Ironheart looks to be a great amp for a versatile metal amp to me. I've personally wanted to try one myself, but not had the chance. You'll have to post on this thread with a review of each one you tried.
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
Quote by TJWhonley
I kind of need it to be through these guys. sorry, but thanks
(I live in Yorkshire, UK, so there are *uck all guitar shops)

If they are a Laney dealer, they can get the VH100r. It is Laney's best amp they currently make
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If they are a Laney dealer, they can get the VH100r. It is Laney's best amp they currently make

they don't stock it. I can't ask to demo something that they don't have. all the amps that are listed are in warehouses around the UK, and then they order them into the shop. they wont buy an amp for me to try.
go with the orange then
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
go with the orange then

Thanks, but which other? The blackstar seems good, but i don't know (Andy James used to use it though). Satch uses a jvm, but I'm not sure about it's metal capabilities.
I was in a band where the other guitarist had the JVM210h and it was a mediocre amp at best. I did not like it at all.

Try the BS series one, they seem decent
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by TJWhonley
anybody else?

I think JVM is capable for metal, Megadeth uses JVM410H.

Which JVM were you considering to get? JVM2 or JVM4?
The orange is easily the best out of the list. Not only is it a great sound but the construction and quality of the build is second to none. Very reliable, great range of tones.

The ironheart is very cheap in construction and wasn't fantastic sounding. I struggled to get a useable sound from it. Cleans were sterile and lacked depth, the gain was overbearing and everything on the amp felt cheap.

JVMs are okay if they're dialed in right, but I think their metal distortion is just about piling on too much gain and it was pretty brittle.

I haven't played the black star but I wouldn't buy one just on the basis of the company that's me though. I'm sure they're fine for metal.

Also are you really playing jazz? 9/10 people aren't really playing jazz. And no I don't count playing a few 7 chords or playing the modes really fast on the clean channel jazz. If you really want an amp for jazz later on down the track, then buy one then. Get one that'll suit your current needs.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Last edited by Eppicurt at May 27, 2013,
Quote by Eppicurt
Also are you really playing jazz? 9/10 people aren't really playing jazz. And no I don't count playing a few 7 chords or playing the modes really fast on the clean channel jazz. If you really want an amp for jazz later on down the track, then buy one then. Get one that'll suit your current needs.

i play in a jazz band, so yeah, pretty much. (planet caravan as well )
Quote by TJWhonley
i play in a jazz band, so yeah, pretty much. (planet caravan as well )

Fair enough, most people who say they need an amp for deathcoremetalhardstyle and jazz, usually don't play jazz.

In any case, I don't see why you couldn't use a Rockerverb for that. I love the clean on the Mk II, loads of depth and punch.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"