Pretty much as the title says, what are the main differences between a Marshall 1960a and an orange pccb412(aside price and the speakers, obviously)
What tonal qualities will I get with each, is the price difference justifiable etc.
thanks guys, I'm a bit of a newbie to anything other than small valve practice combos!
I like all types of music, from slipknot to jazz.(helpful, I know)
Cheers
The Orange cabs are built FAR better than the 1960 series cabs. Beefier construction, better wiring/electrical compnents, and generally speaking, will typically come with more desirable speakers stock. Speakers are more of a subjective thing, but the better build quality of an Orange is hard to argue against. To my ears, the result is a more full sound overall, speakers aside.

I used to own a 1960A, but recently switched over to an Avatar Contemporary 4x12 (Somewhat of a "poor man's" Orange cab knock-off), and am very happy with it. The nice thing about 1960A's is that they're a dime a dozen on the used market, so if you need a decent cab on the cheap, they're a viable option in that regard (And some amps do sound awesome through them, don't get me wrong). If buying new though, I'd go straight for the Orange. You'll be happier in the long run.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
do you guys think the price difference is justified?(I'm 15, but not a cheapskate. if something's worth saving up for I will get it- I got a les paul standard because it was worth it to my ears)
Quote by TJWhonley
do you guys think the price difference is justified?(I'm 15, but not a cheapskate. if something's worth saving up for I will get it- I got a les paul standard because it was worth it to my ears)

Where do you live? Going used can save you 1/2 or more on the price of cabs
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think your better off saving for a Orange or a Mesa recto cab.

I think the mesa and orange sound very similar, but I like the mesa a little better. Some folks like the orange better, its just personal opinion.

I think they are both well worth the money. They are solid as hell, and becasue they're oversized and made of thicker wood, they sound a lot beffier (have more low end).

To put it into persepctive, my mesa 212 weights almost 2x as much as my Randall thats the size of a 412, but has a 212 top +115 bottom config.

If you keep your eyes open, you can usually snag deacent deals on these cabs, if youre willing to wait a while.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by Robbgnarly
Where do you live? Going used can save you 1/2 or more on the price of cabs

I live in Huddersfield, UK.
I don't normally like going used, but where would you suggest i start looking?
Check craigslist. There's almost always a few good cabs for sale at any time from people looking to downsize or to trade/get funds for new gear.

Sometimes shops have used cabs too. They'll usually be wanting more than what a private seller would let one go for, but can still end up being quite a bit cheaper than new in some cases.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
a recto cab in the UK costs about £6 billion. Honestly, I mean there's not cheaping out and then there's just getting ripped... you're gonna struggle to persuade me that a recto 4x12 is worth £1000 for what's a glorified plywood box...

EDIT: andertons has some good deals on hayden stuff at the moment- they have the UK-made 4x12 with eminence governors for £300. The Governor is their version of a v30- i doubt they're exactly the same, if my experience with the eminences I have tried is anything to go by, but eminence makes nice speakers too IMO.

I haven't tried the hayden cabinet, though. But I'm guessing it's gonna be at least decent, it seems to be ply, made in the UK and has decent stock speakers... is a recto or other mesa cab worth over 3x as much, for example? I dunno, but I doubt it. It does depend on the tone you're after too, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 26, 2013,