I used to play World of Warcraft and thought that $15 was a horrendous price to pay for a video game.
Now I play League of Legends, and was shocked when I recently looked at my purchase history and realized I'd spent $200 in their online store.
So it got me thinking - what do you like better? Subscription-based payments are no-nonsense ways of making a profit whereas microtransaction systems work in the favour of more frugal players (ie. players who are not me) and attract a larger community.
Your thoughts?
I'd never pay for stuff in game
apart from like a big DLC, like I did with Blood Dragon
I used to buy map packs for CoD, but probably wouldn't even do that these days

I used to play the MMO City of Heroes (and runescape before that), no idea how much I spent in total
such a waste of time
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by whywefight
I've never used either

why answer at all then? waste of time.
Gibson SG Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Bugera 333xl
Boss ge-7 EQ
Quote by Cytagasm
why answer at all then? waste of time.

Ironic. He could also be making the point that he doesn't like either.

Other than big DLC's, count me out on buying stuff with real currency in-game.
If I had to choose I would rather take a subscription. With a subscription at least I know I have the same access to everything in the game that everybody else does for no additional money.

WoW is a bit of an oddball though because it has a cash shop as well which I don't agree with since there is a subscription.

Cash shops I don't really agree with at all, especially the ones that sell items with stats that usually turns the game into a P2W (Pay to Win). Games that don't sell items with stats though, pure vanity items, meh, they are usually weird items like caps, t-shirts, beachballs etc. that have no place in the fantasy RPG's I play which kind of ruins the game a little when I'm walking around in my badass plate armor and a guy with a baseball cap and a T-shirt sporting the games logo runs past.
Also, games that SELL additional character slots. I mean, what the hell? Guild Wars 2 is a good example since it gave you less character slots than classes in the game which means I would have to pay more to have a character of each class which I say, is bullshit.
Cash shops are just awful.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by Soccerguy
Ironic. He could also be making the point that he doesn't like either.

Other than big DLC's, count me out on buying stuff with real currency in-game.

^bingo

whoops, wasted two posts of your time. my apologies
I think anyone who is happy to pay £30 for a game, and then every month fork out another £10 just to play it, is a moron,
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by samjbow
I recently looked at my purchase history and realized I'd spent $200 in their online store.

makes sense being that LoL players are ******ed.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by Todd Hart
I think anyone who is happy to pay £30 for a game, and then every month fork out another £10 just to play it, is a moron,

they often make em free to download, so you don't need to buy the CD
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I don't like bitching about either, because clearly companies are getting the message that players are willing to deal with this kind of shit. Their jobs are to maximize their profits. DLC, microtransactions, DRM, whatever, these things exist because enough gamers are content to get screwed multiple times. People like to complain, but they'll still fork over the cash. I just bypass all that stuff as much as I can, but that seems to be the direction gaming is headed in.
Quote by Iommianity
I don't like bitching about either, because clearly companies are getting the message that players are willing to deal with this kind of shit. Their jobs are to maximize their profits. DLC, microtransactions, DRM, whatever, these things exist because enough gamers are content to get screwed multiple times. People like to complain, but they'll still fork over the cash. I just bypass all that stuff as much as I can, but that seems to be the direction gaming is headed in.

How does DRM maximize profit? Developing DRM costs quite a lot of money, and given the current climate it's liable to make people much less likely to buy your game at all.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
How does DRM maximize profit? Developing DRM costs quite a lot of money, and given the current climate it's liable to make people much less likely to buy your game at all.

I could have typed it better, but my point was it's something people complain about but still endorse with their money. I know it's not always affective, but it's hard for a company to see criticism when there's a big shiny dollar sign in front of it.
I just read a fun fact: World of Warcraft has 236 realms in the US, and each of those has at least 5 servers attached to it, requiring constant maintenance.

That makes the $15 a month not sound so bad...
Quote by Todd Hart

That's an opinion though.
A lot of the time you get lot's more for your money with these types of games. Back when I used to play subscription based games like WoW I used to play them more than enough to justify paying about £8 a month, especially when they are updated regularly with content patches (that push the story along and introduce new features etc) and maintained, balanced and have near limitless replayability.
Compare that to any normal game that is roughly £30-£40, I would be dropping £40-£120 on new games every month whereas with WoW I was paying £8 on games since I played nothing else at the time and getting as much if not more enjoyment, playtime and arguably more new content than another stand alone title.

Looking at it, I think people NOT paying to play games like WoW are bigger morons when you look how much I saved a month back when I used to play it.

Quote by Todd Hart

It pretty much forces you to buy the game brand new in order to get all it's features which maximizes profit.
Buying new all the time isn't possible for some people which is why the used game market is so big. Games with DRM require you to pay for the code if you bought it preowned since the code in the box has likely been used already (I have rarely got a unused code with a preowned game). The code usually costs about £10 so assuming a game costs £40 new you're going to have to wait until the game drops below £30 to justify buying it preowned and saving yourself some cash which, can take a damn long time for a price drop depending on how popular the game is.

Pirated games on console aren't a big worry these days. I can honestly say I've never heard of or know anybody personally who has a pirated PS3 or 360. I know they exist, it's just a small number compared to how many people had a 'chipped' PS1 or PS2 (everybody had a chipped PS1 and PS2) and I can't say it's a big enough number to justify putting a DRM on games, screwing everybody who buys their games legit.
No, they just want more cash. Publishers know how big the used game market is and they either get little or no cash from used game sales. "Fair enough, they deserve some cash" you might say but game stores get very little cash for new games sales whereas publishers get a huge chunk of it, so it's a 'you scratch my back' relationship between distributors and publishers...Well until DRM became such a common thing this past few years.
It's not even tied to multiplayer anymore. I picked up Kingdom of Alamur for dirt cheap the other day (£6) yet I don't get some of the quests and a few other features because I don't have an authentication code. "Why is there a code for a single player game with no online features?" I asked myself...I looked at the cover...EA...I wish EA would go away and become bankrupt.

This is a huge reason to why people hate EA and possibly why the Xbox One will fail massively.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
I will buy keys and tickets for Team Fortress 2 and play Mann vs. Machine with my friend. That's about it for micro-transactions.