Totally new to playing guitar so really don't understand this whole amp business, I have my guitar now (Danelectro 59 DC) and I've been wondering what sort of amp I should purchase and if I should look at any of these pedals for effects.

I'm a fan of bands such as Beach Fossils, DIIV, Splashh, Smith Westerns, Real Estate, Tame Impala, Mac DeMarco, Girls etc and particularly like their sort of fuzzy guitar sound but I have no idea how or if anyone should bother with trying to recreate that sound. I get the idea that you have an amp and connect these various pedals with effects to your guitar but I don't know where you begin, do you buy a basic amp and then if you want a nice dreamy, distorted guitar sound connect a pedal built for reverb and a pedal built for distortion?Why is it that you need to order these pedals for the best sound?

For a beginner what should they look at? I've looked up a bit and whilst I understand little of what guitar experts are talking about with reverb and effects they say something like a Fender '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue is good for creating a surfy guitar sound, only I'm a 16 y/o kid, there would be no point. So would one buy a amp with basic controls and then a good reverb pedal, something like a Holy Grail (heard that's good?), will that sound good or rubbish? I just don't like the basic guitar sound.

Can anyone list a bunch of effects and what genre they're best built to or something?

Thx guys.