I love 90's rock maybe because I was just a wee lad, but I feel a lot of 90's rock was just about the perfect blend of pop rock, and avant garde.

I figured that we could go through year by year, and decide what in fact are the essential listening rock/alternative albums of the nineties.

Me first of course, I will add one album for each year, and then we can add with your suggestions more and more, into the OP.

1990 - Jane's Addiction - Ritual De Lo Habitual

1991 - Nirvana - Nevermind

1992 - Alice in Chains - Dirt

1993 - Pearl Jam - Vrs

1994 - Soundgarden - Superunknown ('94 may be the best year for music in the 90's)

1995 - Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

1996 - Tool - Aenima

1997 - Foo Fighters - The Color and Shape

1998 - Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come

1999 - Rage Against the Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles

Like I said, this is only one album a year of what I liked best, and found to be essential, without listing the same artist twice.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Random first video of thread.

Tripping Daisy - Piranha

http://youtu.be/_-JPNvS5yJA
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."