Hi guys im wondering what's the best and easy to afford multi effects in this universe??
Suggestion?
I've heard some people say GT-100 of Boss's
How about Zoom's?
What's your budget?

What amp are you currently using?

What guitar do you have?

What kind of music do you play/what kind of sounds are you looking for?

Is this going to be a standalone unit for you (are you going to use it to make all of your tone)?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i currently use ibanez jem and fender frontman..
and other stomp box like distortion and chorus..
budget just around $400-500..
how about it?
I think you should look at a new amp first.

Other then that, all I can say is to stay away from digitech stuff ie. GNX. I owned one 5 or so years ago. total waste of money.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
What's your budget?

What amp are you currently using?

What guitar do you have?

What kind of music do you play/what kind of sounds are you looking for?

Is this going to be a standalone unit for you (are you going to use it to make all of your tone)?

Answer ALL of these questions first.... Then we can properly help you.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
I think you should look at a new amp first.

Other then that, all I can say is to stay away from digitech stuff ie. GNX. I owned one 5 or so years ago. total waste of money.

Now, while I wouldn't say to absolutely avoid Digitech's stuff, I do say that the OP should figure out then state exactly what it is he'd like his multi-effect unit to do for him. If its use is to be only for effects, definitely look into digitech's RP 1000/500 line. They have a lot of flexibility in routing options and have rather high quality sounding effects, and are an absolute bargain on the used market.

If the OP is looking into an amp modeling unit, then he might want to do some good ol' youtube research and listen to the many demos available.

Personally, I recently decided to try out the Digitech GSP1101 on a whim as a deal came up that I couldn't pass up and I gotta say I like what I'm hearing. I use it a lot more than I do my 5150 since I bought it. Of course this is just me and you should look into the many units and their features to see what will work for your needs.

I also agree with the above quote though. Definitely look into a new amp before looking into something like a new multi-effects unit. No sense buying new brushes if your paint is the weakest link.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
oookayyy...
i now playing rock kind of slow rock,,heavy metal,,hard rock ( like a7x,,bullet,,guns n roses )
i think i 'd like to combine the chain between my stomp boxes and this new multi effects that im going to buy..
You need a new amp, use the money towards that and you will be much happier in the long run. If you are dead set on getting a multi i would highly recommend a Line 6 POD HD
so the Fender Frontman is not suitable for the rock music or what?
Quote by Jem555

The Fender Frontman is a starter, solid state amp. Solid states usually ( not always, but usually) do not take pedals well. This amp is also for beginners, so its not really meant to have all these fancy effects being pushed through it.
The idea is to build up a solid base ( your guitar and amp) to build your sound around. You do not want to spend a bunch of money on effects when you have crap to play it through. Get a new amp and then you will be able to figure out what effects you want to further colour your tone.
Quote by Jem555

I would call it a beginners amp...

I owned the halfstack version years ago, when I first started to gig. At the time, I thought it was a badass amp, but as my ears started to develope, I realised how horrid the tone really was.

Now this is just my $.02, but I would take that $500, and but a nice all tube combo; then worry about pedals later.

Now matter what pedals you have, if you have a shitty sounding base ( meaning your amp), its all going to sound like shit.

I recommend somthing like:

1. Older Marshall DSL - I think that the new ones sound fizzy, but maybe thats just me.

2. Jet City JCA22. Great amp with a killer 80's rock/metal distortion. Not the cleanest cleans, but I like it.

3. If youre the kinda guy who like to use a lot of pedals, especially for your od tones look at some fenders, like the blues jr. They're great platform amps for pedals... or even a Traynor!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at May 26, 2013,
Zoom is the $hit right now.. you can get a lot of awesome non digital sounding tones.
oh i see..thanks for the info..
i think i can see my way now..
The G7.1 is obsolete. Go for the G3,G3X, or G5.

And my suggestion is to ignore the advice of anyone who says a brand is bad because they used a 10 year old model from that brand 5 years ago and couldn't figure out how to make it sound decent.
Last edited by fly135 at May 27, 2013,
Get a Zoom G3 to satisfy your wants, and start saving up for a better amp.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by fly135
The G7.1 is obsolete. Go for the G3,G3X, or G5.

And my suggestion is to ignore the advice of anyone who says a brand is bad because they used a 10 year old model from that brand 5 years ago and couldn't figure out how to make it sound decent.

Rubbish the G7.1ut is obsolete i'm still using mine giging regularly and it's still get the tones i need i have looked into the G5 and there isn't much more that it does that mine can't do execpt for the sideways expression pedal.... having said that for bang for the buck a ZoomG5 is amazing and new on Turd-bay can be had for around $330 in Aus the cool thing about the G5 is it can be used as a multi patch style pedal or individual stomp pedals.....
It depends what you want and how you'll use it. You shouldn't use the multi-fx with your amp but you'll probably be very happy with it through something like a PA. I personally don't use an amp with mine and I'm happy with it. The only issue with a multi-fx unit is it takes some time to learn how to get the most of it. It took me a few years to be completely satisfied with the GT-10. The amount of options are astounding and it's very easy to get lost.

The designers also expect you to know things about amps and effects too. And getting what you want out of them is usually easier on the real amp or effect than it is on the unit due to extra parameters and stuff. It's much easier to get them to sound bad than it is to make them sound good. I think they're a great value if you use them properly. I think a lot of multi-fx units sound better than the tube amps in the same price range when used right.

I'm converting from the GT-10 to a real amp because I learned that I simply don't need everything on the GT-10. I've just been using 2 preamps. I would rather get something simpler if all I want is one simple tone. My advice is to just consider what you want in a multi-fx unit. It's convenient to have all the options in one place but it can be a hassle getting to them and getting them to sound right. There are pros and cons to them. They're worth it if you're willing to deal with the difficulties.
Quote by Talon64
Rubbish the G7.1ut is obsolete i'm still using mine giging regularly and it's still get the tones i need i have looked into the G5 and there isn't much more that it does that mine can't do execpt for the sideways expression pedal.... having said that for bang for the buck a ZoomG5 is amazing and new on Turd-bay can be had for around $330 in Aus the cool thing about the G5 is it can be used as a multi patch style pedal or individual stomp pedals.....
Obsolete just means it's been replaced by a newer and better unit. It doesn't mean the G7.1 won't work anymore. The multistomp patch style of the g3/g5 series is just one of the things (although a big one) that obsolete the 7.1. Newer amp models, more FX, and the ability to have a distortion stomp in front of an amp model is different as well. Not being able to use the preset editor through USB on the G7.1 is another.
You could get a pretty nice multi-effects unit in that price range. However, as stated numerous times above, you may want to consider a new amp as well. If a wide range of amp models and effects are something you'd like to have built into an amp, the Peavey Vyper line of modelling amps seems to be pretty well regarded, especially for the price.

One question I haven't seen asked that I think needs to be answered is "are you gigging?" Or, do you plan (or maybe even hope) to gig/join a band any time in the near future (as in, before you're going to be willing to spend a decent amount of money on gear again)?

If so, I'd recommend taking the path of a new amp rather than a multi-fx unit. I've seen some very good guitarists using modelling amps live with good results, and if you are on a budget and require a vast array of effects it's the most wallet friendly solution.

Either way, whether you end up buying a multi-effects unit or a modelling amp, one thing I cannot stress enough is do your homework. Not just on the amp or unit itself, but even more so in learning what amps/effects are being modeled and how to use them to their intended purposes. Modelling units can be a great learning tool for guitarists just starting to learn about the differences between different flavors of amplifiers.

A second word of wisdom if you choose to purchase a multi-effects or modelling amp is be prepared to tweak the knobs. A LOT. In my experience there's generally a learning curve with any kind of multi-effects or modelling amp and you should expect to have to experiment for some time before you really feel like you're "dialed in".
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.