So, I have the same issue as this guy https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760075&highlight=breakup

-But he never had the courtesy to return to his thread and say how (or if) he fixed it. Basically:

My Warwick MIG bass causes some serious breakup/distortion when played through my new SVT-3, both in passive and active mode. My fretless 6 string has no problems, even with the 3-band preamp cranked; hence it must be the warwick

Any help would be greatly appreciated
lolz, changed the battery and now it's good

But that must mean my passive switch is faulty? since it isn't actually 100% passive as it requires the battery to not sound like broken behringer amp

any fixes for that?
What model are you using? If it has active pickups, then the battery is still required, as the passive mode refers to the preamp. I use a Corvette with passive pickups and active preamp, and can play without a battery just fine.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at May 27, 2013,
It's a pro series corvette 5, but made before they moved the production to korea- if the specs are the same as then it should be active MEC J/J pickups with active MEC 2-way electronics

So that makes sense. I just thought pickups on bass were all passive in nature, guess they're not :P
Another question then- can I change the pups to some that are truly passive, and keep the active preamp option?
You would need to change the potentiometers out for ones that will work with passive pickups unfortunately.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Yeah, if you want to change to passive pickups. Are you having any major problems with the preamp, or is it just the changing a battery thing that's the problem?

I have three active Warwicks and a acoustic-electric that requires a battery and to be honest, I have to change them a couple of times a year, maximum. Just don't leave the bass plugged in when you're not playing it and you'll be fine!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I actually set three dates in the year to change my battery, regardless of life- my birthday, my brother's birthday, and Halloween. That way, I know the battery will be fine no matter what. The old battery then goes in something less vital, like the smoke detector.
I never leave it plugged in :P

No, the only problem I have is that apparently when the battery dies, the passive function on the bass goes along with it- and I've always seen the active/passive switch as a failsafe in case you run out of juice during a gig.

The bass is an absolute beast other than that, it's just a small inconvenience really, and given how much I'd have to spend to retrofit both pickups AND preamp, I think I'll just leave it ;P

Quote by Deliriumbassist
I actually set three dates in the year to change my battery, regardless of life- my birthday, my brother's birthday, and Halloween. That way, I know the battery will be fine no matter what. The old battery then goes in something less vital, like the smoke detector.

That's pretty nifty, think I'll try that

Thanks for all the help guys
Last edited by Våd Hamster at May 27, 2013,
Quote by Deliriumbassist

I also change it before a gig. I once had a battery, which had been changed a month ago die on a bass right at the end of a set. Now I am super paranoid about batteries.
Quote by anarkee
I also change it before a gig. I once had a battery, which had been changed a month ago die on a bass right at the end of a set. Now I am super paranoid about batteries.

I just carry a spare battery in my hardcase. And a pack of strings and string cutter and a small screwdriver.
Y'know, pretty standard
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2