I've been wanting to learn drums for several personal reasons.

I would buy an acoustic kit, but:
1. They're loud, and I wouldn't appreciate it if my neighbours did the same thing to me.
2. I don't want to have to be replacing/upgrading parts too often, as I want to learn how to play before I dive into anything too expensive.

For $600AUD, I can get the Alesis DM6 bundle, with a throne and sticks.

Any feedback? I have about 10 days before I actually buy a kit, so I thought I should ask before potentially wasting money.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
They can be great for just learning. I learned how to play on an electric kit and upgraded to an acoustic kit about six months ago. They can be a real pain in the ass if you don't use the preset kits in the module, and the crosstalk is aggravating, but that's more user error than the kit I think

EDIT: Forgot to mention. The clicking of the sticks on the pads can be pretty loud too. Not loud enough for your neighbors to hear, but loud enough to wake up other people in the house if you're really rocking out. I have the Alesis DM5 and the hi-hat pedal stopped working on me, as well as both of the cymbal triggers. It isn't as expensive as acoustic hardware but it can be pretty pricey to replace electronic drum parts
Last edited by Tracii Lee at May 27, 2013,
Quote by Tracii Lee
They can be great for just learning. I learned how to play on an electric kit and upgraded to an acoustic kit about six months ago. They can be a real pain in the ass if you don't use the preset kits in the module, and the crosstalk is aggravating, but that's more user error than the kit I think

EDIT: Forgot to mention. The clicking of the sticks on the pads can be pretty loud too. Not loud enough for your neighbors to hear, but loud enough to wake up other people in the house if you're really rocking out. I have the Alesis DM5 and the hi-hat pedal stopped working on me, as well as both of the cymbal triggers. It isn't as expensive as acoustic hardware but it can be pretty pricey to replace electronic drum parts

Thanks for the advice. I'll be using it in the garage anyway, so the clicking shouldn't be a problem. As for parts breaking, that's as expected with anything you're hitting.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend