I've been playing guitar since I was 13 years old, and I've been writing songs ever since including the drums, bass and lyrics for the songs. But just recently (the past 6 months) I haven't been able to write a single decent riff, let alone a full song.

I reckon in my 5 years playing guitar, judging by the amount of my own demos I have on my iPod and remembering the songs I never got around to recording, I've wrote 150+ songs (ranging over several genres)... And I'm worried I've ran out of the creative juices

It's not the kind of thing I go out of my way to look for, it just usually hits me

So I was wondering... How does everyone here find inspiration before they start writing? Any stories to tell? Cheers!
There are certain bands that have music that just inspires me to create. Namely Death Cab for Cutie and Arcade Fire.

It seems like you're stuck in a rut though, try branching out to new music you've never really listened before.
Just write... forget about waiting for inspiration. You will never run out of creative juices. Unless you're dead, then you have a valid excuse.
And when you say sit down and play your guitar, so what specific things can you say? Covers or what?
I think you are just too critical. Any riff can sound decent if you make it sound decent. You can add some little things and it will sound better. Also adding other instruments makes your songs/ideas sound a lot better.

You could try writing with your friends. Me and my friend always come up with some new stuff.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by slipknot836
I've been playing guitar since I was 13 years old, and I've been writing songs ever since including the drums, bass and lyrics for the songs. But just recently (the past 6 months) I haven't been able to write a single decent riff, let alone a full song.

I reckon in my 5 years playing guitar, judging by the amount of my own demos I have on my iPod and remembering the songs I never got around to recording, I've wrote 150+ songs (ranging over several genres)... And I'm worried I've ran out of the creative juices

It's not the kind of thing I go out of my way to look for, it just usually hits me

So I was wondering... How does everyone here find inspiration before they start writing? Any stories to tell? Cheers!

Maybe writing more songs isn't the answer. Understanding what inspired you in the first place and how it has changed might prove better than going through motions when you're emotionally empty. Granted, you can't feel inspired all the time but being true to yourself will be better and most likely get your fire back quicker. Something else to consider. Hope this helps.