I'm looking to buy my first amp, I want it to be loud enough to play small gigs. My budget is around $650 or less (US dollars). I really like the VOX AC30VR, but still looking at other amps and I need help. I play stuff like Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Green Day, AC/DC, Paramore, Guns N Roses.

Vox AC30VR is $549.99
Are you in the US? Don't get the Vox AC15/30VR they are crap.

If you are look used at the :
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Vox AC15/30 (but this would not be my choice for what you listed at all)
Laney VC50/100
Jet City JCA5112rc
Mesa Boogie DC-3
Mesa Boogie Studio .22
Mesa .50 caliber

you can find these used at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Are you in the US?

Yes, I am.

But why are the VOX VR crap?
Quote by Vitanilla
Yes, I am.

But why are the VOX VR crap?

They are nothing like a real AC15/30. They are SS amps with 1 12ax7 in the powersection. For the price they are a joke. If you want to get the AC15/30 tones cheap, get a Vox VT amp it will sound as good if not better and be more versatile.

Go to www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear and look at the selection of amps they have. There are several real Vox AC15's in your price range which are 100x better amps than the VR stuff.

But like I said before for what you want sound wise, a Marshall/Mesa type amp will be the best choice like a used JCM2000 DSL401 1x12 combo they run $500ish and are great for what you want to do.

In the end it is your choice and your money, but I've been in your position before and wish I had others to give me some good advise.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 27, 2013,
What he said ^. Buy a real amp. A used DSL401 would be my rec. GC used section has several for around $500.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
What he said ^. Buy a real amp. A used DSL401 would be my rec. GC used section has several for around $500.

You need professional help Cath. Why'd you know what a guitar store has in stock half the world away? You've been shopping online too much.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
^

but yeah i mean i haven't tried the ac30vr but for that price it sounds crazy. I mean the little pathfinder does a passable (solid state) vox tone (if that's all you want) for like $100 (if even). the mini3 as well (and i assume the other vox modellers) for very little money (if you don't need much volume).

for closer you'd really need to go tube, i assume.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ragingkitty
You need professional help Cath. Why'd you know what a guitar store has in stock half the world away? You've been shopping online too much.

Well, it only took a few seconds to check. I don't like to talk shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
There's gotta be a mistake in the vr price. I think the vr is just a vt without the amp models and fx. And you can buy a few vt30s for that much. I agree with the Marshall suggestion if you've got $5-600 to spend though.
Quote by lucky1978
There's gotta be a mistake in the vr price.

Nope, $549.99 NEW
Quote by Vitanilla
Nope, $549.99 NEW

That is too much money for that amp. You can get a real Vox AC15 for $399 used at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
They also have a Laney VC30 (VoxAC30 clone) for $349.

But like I already stated, for what you want sound wise, something like a Marshall/Mesa small combo will be better unless you run lots of pedals
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The suggestions are pretty spot on so far. If it were my money and I were you I would look for the Marshall DSL 401, not the newer Marshall DSL series the older one. Also, just a suggestion, watch creating too many threads pretty much around the same topic, I just saw your other one which asked about what amps under 700. Mods tend to not like repeat/duplicate threads.

Best of luck!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by Robbgnarly

They also have a Laney VC30 (VoxAC30 clone) for $349.

i don't think it's a clone. it's more like "sorta voxy/poor man's vox" kind of thing.

Could be wrong, though, i really must check a schematic. but my feeling from trying it was that it wasn't actually all that voxy Nice amp though and presumably far better than that ac30vr nonsense.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm stunned that GC is selling the vr30 for $549! That's insane! Sure it's a 2x12 and they sound ok but damn what a ripoff. If I were going the "hybrid" route I'd take a vt30 over a vr 30 even without the $350 price difference new.
Being someone who has owned and played A LOT of VOX amps (including the AC30VR and the Valvetronix series), I can tell you now that the AC30VR is definitely better than the Valvetronix series.

If you were to choose between the AC30VR and a Valavetronix, definitely go for the VR. The VR has a more AC30-like tone. They serve okay as a backup for an AC30.

Of course the VR is nothing compared to a real AC30. The VR isn't a great amp to be honest, but it's not terrible. I would certainly choose on over a Valvetronix. In my humble opinion, Valvetronix's are strictly practice amps and should not be used out of the house. The VR is somewhat passable to be used in gigs.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.