GAS is striking up again, I am a junky wanting to chase the dragon that is wacky guitar sounds. I work as an assistant architect by day, and make sonic structures by night, and i am feeling the need for a Digital Delay to add to my rig.

I have and LOVE my Malekko 616 for the analogue side of things. Now i need another delay to do all things it can't do.

I am really in to Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Tame Impala, The Antlers; those sort of experimental sounds using delay. Also Post-Rock style ambient soundscapes which we use to fill out a lot of our songs.

What i want from a second delay is practicality. the things i really need are:

-Tap Tempo, as there have been many occasions in the band where i have wanted one. Subdivisions would be really good too.
-A reverse setting, to get trippy sounds too, so i can fill out the background when playing with my band. (I also have some song ideas that would need Reverse delay).
-Longer delay times, of course.
-Stereo out (and possibly ins).

Other features which would be preferable include:
-Expression modes are cool, but not a requirement.
-I like the idea of an effect loop for pitch shifting or distorting the delay. I like to experiment.

Things i DO NOT need:
-It doesn't really need to emulate a tape echo or an analogue sound, as i have that covered.
-Looper, as i already have a Boss one.
-Not worried about presets, i would inevitable forget and not use them. But the prospect of live shows might change that.

So drop me some recommendations of what to try.
Im not set on budget, but nothing too pricey.
So far i have been interested in the TC Nova Repeater, Boss DD6/DD7, Danelectro Wasabi Forward/Reverse (which i regret passing up on Gumtree, i was out of funds).

I'm in the UK, in London by the way.

Cheers for any help guys!
No budget? If you've looked into DD6/DD7, how about the DD-20? That has an input for expresson I believe plus its own dedicated tap button.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
No budget? If you've looked into DD6/DD7, how about the DD-20? That has an input for expresson I believe plus its own dedicated tap button.

No budget and you suggest a DD20? Go all the way man! Eventide Time Factor!

It's has everything the TS wants including overly long delay times, stereo in out, reverse, tap tempo, programmable expression modes and all the subdivisions anyone can possibly use and then some. It does lack an FX loop tho.

However, on a budget side of things, Flashback or Flashback X4.

The Styrmon Timeline is also another powerful one.

The only delays I know have FX loops are the Diamond Memory Lane 2 and the JHS panther. However, they're both analog.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at May 27, 2013,
Quote by ragingkitty

It's has everything the TS wants including overly long delay times, stereo in out, reverse, tap tempo, programmable expression modes and all the subdivisions anyone can possibly use and then some. It does lack an FX loop tho.

However, on a budget side of things, Flashback or Flashback X4.

The Styrmon Timeline is also another powerful one.

The only delays I know have FX loops are the Diamond Memory Lane 2 and the JHS panther. However, they're both analog.

This.
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by ragingkitty

Well, if he's looking at pedals like the Nova Repeater, Danelectro, and DD6/DD7 that may give you an idea of the budget,

Anyways, my vote goes for the Vox DelayLab. Kicked my DL-4 off the board, sounds are just as good, but the Vox takes DC power. DL-4 tends to burn out if used on DC power for some period of time.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Seymour Duncan Deja Vu.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
TC Electronic Nova Delay if you are looking at the Repeater. You get multiple slots for presets, which is good for live application.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Cheers guys, thanks for all the recomendations!

Not so sure on the El Cap, i know that may be blasphemous to say here, but i dont really need a tape delay emulator, and it doesn't do all the other stuff i want. Pretty steep on the price for not really getting what i need. The Stymon Timeline also looks damn nice but is pricey.

The Vox Delay Lab though, damn, really nice. Didn't realize how extensive it is; tap divisions, long delay times, pitch shifter effects, very nice.
Might be overkill, im worried id be paying extra for the looper feature? Although that said, i may kick the Boss Looper off if it's that good! Can it do reverse playback on the looper? And can you use delay + loop at the same time?

I think the Nova Repeater does all i need from the Nova Delay, without the extra bulk of presets etc, so might save my money there.

Cheers for all the recommendation! I hope i get a chance to try them all out, need to take a (very short) road trip to andertons...

EDIT: been seriously considering the vox delay lab, but gotta try the out. I see you can reverse the playback, which is cool (we use that on one of our songs). How many tracks can you record on the looper? Can you build up loads of layers of various guitar bits? If so, i might even consider selling the Boss RC-20 to fund my delay...
Last edited by jaybals at May 28, 2013,