So, GAS continues to rage on for me . Due to all the other goodies I've recently snagged up, this is more or less, gathering opinions for a possible future amp purchase when funds allow it than something I plan to buy immediately.

With that said, I've decided I want to add a third head to my rig. Love my ENGL for brutally tight, modern high gain, and my bassman for cleaner stuff. But lately, I'm finding that I miss having British-style tones in my rig (I used to have a Peavey Windsor), and I think I'd like to have that at my disposal again.

I was debating the idea of just snagging up another Windsor head since they're so cheap, but think I might want to save up a few bucks and go with something nicer. I was eyeballing either a Splawn Competition, or one of the hot-rodded Plexi/JCM clones from Ceriatone. As you may have figured, I'm definitely after the modified/higher gain kind of Marshall-y tone (for tones ranging from AC/DC crunch to the 80's metal tones ala VH, Dokken, Crue, etc, up to early thrash).

Just after some thoughts from those who might have experience with these amps, or similar. Some might say "why not just get an old Marshall?", but prices seem to have gone way up on them these days, and they don't have enough pre-amp gain for me stock anyway . Oh yeah, I should also add that I want a 50-watt head, and a single channel w/a master volume. Not too concerned about the cleans.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at May 27, 2013,
Splawns are really nice, I have only played the Ceriatone Yetti and it was nice, but you cant switch the modes on the yeti by foot-switch like you can the Splawn.

Another very Splawn type amp you can get cheap second hand is the Krank 1980 ($600-$800 used) www.guitarcenter.com/used thgere are 3 full sized heads and 1 1980 Jr (for $375). The 1980Jr is insanely loud for a 20watt amp and I use one for band practice to save lugging my JCM2000 around
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

Another very Splawn type amp you can get cheap second hand is the Krank 1980 ($600-$800 used) www.guitarcenter.com/used thgere are 3 full sized heads and 1 1980 Jr (for $375). The 1980Jr is insanely loud for a 20watt amp and I use one for band practice to save lugging my JCM2000 around

You really need to consider changing you user title to Obsessed with Kranks, seriously.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Last edited by Maineguitarist at May 27, 2013,
Quote by Maineguitarist
You really need to consider changing you user title to Obsessed with Kranks, seriously.

Good value. They are often over looked.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Maineguitarist

Don't hate me because I own one and you don't

and like R45VT said. Why spend $1000's when you can get a really good amp for less that does effectively the same thing
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Except that the Splawn he's looking at isn't all that much more used, and Splawn is still around to offer support.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Except that the Splawn he's looking at isn't all that much more used, and Splawn is still around to offer support.

true, but I was just giving TS another option that is built very well, less expensive and will do the tones he wants.

Tony Krank at Stiff amps will service Krank products also, so all hope is not lost for support

I still want a Splawn super comp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Don't hate me because I own one and you don't

No promises

Quote by Robbgnarly
and like R45VT said. Why spend $1000's when you can get a really good amp for less that does effectively the same thing

Hey, I'm not saying that cheaper alternatives are bad at all (I was gonna recommend a Jet City myself), it's just that you push it in almost EVERY 'what amp' thread. Seriously, if I didn't know better, I would say you worked for Krank's PR department, if they were still around. .
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard

Quote by Maineguitarist
No promises

Hey, I'm not saying that cheaper alternatives are bad at all (I was gonna recommend a Jet City myself), it's just that you push it in almost EVERY 'what amp' thread. Seriously, if I didn't know better, I would say you worked for Krank's PR department, if they were still around. .

Well it also fits the sound qualities the TS wants. There has been several times where someone else has suggested it and I don't agree with them

Besides most have never and will never actually play through one so it is just a suggestion if they have the chance. I know how people react when you say Krank, but they are way more than just the Rev and K-stein.

FYI I also suggest lots of Laney's, Peavey's, Mesa', Marshall or what ever else fits what a given TS needs/wants
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Well it also fits the sound qualities the TS wants. There has been several times where someone else has suggested it and I don't agree with them

Besides most have never and will never actually play through one so it is just a suggestion if they have the chance. I know how people react when you say Krank, but they are way more than just the Rev and K-stein.

FYI I also suggest lots of Laney's, Peavey's, Mesa', Marshall or what ever else fits what a given TS needs/wants

Robb, I know this, I was kidding. I don't think you are totally obsessed with the nineteen80. I was busting your balls.

In all seriousness, TS look at the Jet City or the Krank 1980, they both do what you well, for less.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard

The Krank Chadwick was an epically awesome amp and would fit the bill nicely.

I had a splawn quickrod for a while. It was built extremely well, if you can find gutshots (I know scott splawn doesn't want people displaying pics of the internals) you can see how clean the craftsmanship is inside of one of those. The tone was great, it just wasn't exactly my cup of tea for the genres I played. I typically ran it with a Framus Dragon and got a really good Tool tone with it. When playing the Splawn alone, I really didn't care for the cleans. I had a series 1 model, and I believe the series 2's addressed the clean channel and improved on it some.

If you want a more aggressive and american/german toned splawn get one with KT88s. If you want more of that british flavor, I'd definitely recommend EL-34s.

I don't have any experience with Ceriatone and I might be outright wrong, but I'm assuming that the quality of the parts and construction of a Splawn is far superior to a Ceriatone.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by FlightofIcarus
So, GAS continues to rage on for me . Due to all the other goodies I've recently snagged up, this is more or less, gathering opinions for a possible future amp purchase when funds allow it than something I plan to buy immediately.

With that said, I've decided I want to add a third head to my rig. Love my ENGL for brutally tight, modern high gain, and my bassman for cleaner stuff. But lately, I'm finding that I miss having British-style tones in my rig (I used to have a Peavey Windsor), and I think I'd like to have that at my disposal again.

I was debating the idea of just snagging up another Windsor head since they're so cheap, but think I might want to save up a few bucks and go with something nicer. I was eyeballing either a Splawn Competition, or one of the hot-rodded Plexi/JCM clones from Ceriatone. As you may have figured, I'm definitely after the modified/higher gain kind of Marshall-y tone (for tones ranging from AC/DC crunch to the 80's metal tones ala VH, Dokken, Crue, etc, up to early thrash).

Just after some thoughts from those who might have experience with these amps, or similar. Some might say "why not just get an old Marshall?", but prices seem to have gone way up on them these days, and they don't have enough pre-amp gain for me stock anyway . Oh yeah, I should also add that I want a 50-watt head, and a single channel w/a master volume. Not too concerned about the cleans.

What kind of budget are you looking at? I mean I have been gassing for a Baron B-60 which would totally fit your bill which run around 1400 for a single channel up to 1650 for double channels.