Good day!
I regret to have to say this, but the speakers on my Fender Vibrolux Reverb Amp are shot. Here are the specs for my amp:
http://www.fender.com/series/pro-tube/custom-vibrolux-reverb/

Normally, the thing is stocked with two of these:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jensen-P10R-25-Watt-10--Replacement-Speaker-665011-i1153773.gc

However, I went to Guitar Center and talked with a sales associate, and he recommended me these:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Celestion-G10-Vintage-Guitar-Speaker-103950168-i1153702.gc

I need speakers that will handle the low-end that I create with my BOSS octaver pedal (drops the note down two octaves!)
The guy at GC recommended I get 8ohm speakers to handle the low end.

I'm just wondering some recommendations that y'all could give me. My spending limit is like $200 to buy both speakers, but I've been told that's a good price for some good speakers

Thanks for the help!
One more thing, I was wondering if getting one of each speaker was a good or bad idea? I could imagine it sounding really really cool, or really really bad, and I don't want to test it out because I can't afford having to buy yet another speaker if I don't enjoy the sound.
That's all
The ohms thing doesn't really have anything to do w/the speakers being able to handle low end, but getting the same ohm speakers as the amp came with will make things easy with replacement (ie - everything will stay wired the same way)

Those Celestions are considerably higher wattage than the speakers that blew, so they should be ok, since they probably have bigger/heavier magnets and will handle lots of low end better. But they will also be tonally different than the Jensens, and will change the sound of your amp to some degree.

As far as mixing speakers goes, it's actually fairly common. You want to try and mix speakers with similar efficiency ratings so that they all push out around the same volume/blend together better. Not sure how that particular combo you have in mind would work tone-wise, but since one speaker is 25w, and the other 60, the Celestion might end up drowning out the Jensen. Also, you may still end up blowing out that particular Jensen model again if it couldn't handle the volume/low end from the octave pedal.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at May 27, 2013,
probably would be worth emailing speaker companies to see what they suggest (eminence, celestion, wgs, weber etc.)

i'm not familiar with your amp or those speakers

but the celestion will sound very different from the jensen- i haven't tried it, but i think it's the 10" version of the v30. it's debatable whether that's what you want with a vintage-style fender amp (personally, i'd loathe it with one but that's just me).

granted, if you have a very specific need with the octave thing then that might tie your hands somewhere, but it'd be worth figuring out how badly you need that octave thing- enough to banjax up your non-octave tones?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just based off of Eminences tone charts for their speakers, the Lil' Buddy or Red Fang 10" speaker seems like a good bet for your needs.

The Lil Buddy and Red Fang both show good low end response. I'd try and find some reviews or demos on youtube to get an idea of the tone it provides.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Thanks for the help!
I'm getting a little turned off by the Celestion's, because I'm mostly seeing them being paired well with Marshall amps for a nice vintage tone, and I hate Marshalls....

Looks like the Celestions and the Jensons are out of the picture, because I think you're right, FlightofIcarus, they might get blown out again

And yes, I need my octaver, but not necessarily to go down two octaves, just one. I play in a two pice band (me and a drummer) and I use my pedal to get the low end I need to make us sound fuller.

I'm gonna start taking a look at eminences. Thanks!
i'd email eminence to see what they say, they've been pretty helpful any time i've emailed them.

and yeah i mean it's not like a fender suddenly sounds like a marshall if you put a celestion in there, but it does sound a bit closer to one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
WGS...one of the best buys on the market, USA made and will stay in your budget.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I'd go with some Eminence Ragin Cajuns or Lil' Buddies
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell