Hello, When is best to alternate one note per string stuff like arpeggiating chord progressions.

e|------------8-12-8------------------------9-12-9---------------------------|
B|----------8--------8-------------------10--------10---------------------10-|
G|--------9------------9---------------9--------------9----------------11----|
D|------10---------------10---------11------------------11----------12-------|
A|----10--------------------10---12------------------------12----12----------|
E|--8--------------------------9------------------------------10-------------|

For example if I were to play that (not sweep picking) should I just do down to the high E then pick up to the low E. Which situation would you need to aleternate pick one note per string runs?

Cheers
You'd be crazy not to sweep pick that.
I can't imagine that being arpeggio's in a chord progression because throwing in the 12th kind of makes it impossible to hold as a chord.
If i wasn't to sweep pick that I'd just strictly alternate pick it.
You could just pick down when descending the strings and up when ascending (basically slow sweep picking) but i think it will sound like shit. That's just me.. My personal opinion on arpeggio's is to ALWAYS alternate pick. I think it sounds like dogshit otherwise but that's just me. I'm a pretty strict alternate picker.
It'd kind of help to hear what song this is from (if it's from a song at all).

I think it's entirely up to you. As i said my opinion is that it will sound like shit if you don't alternate pick it. That's just my opinion and it's just what i like.
Quote by vayne92
You'd be crazy not to sweep pick that.
I can't imagine that being arpeggio's in a chord progression because throwing in the 12th kind of makes it impossible to hold as a chord.
If i wasn't to sweep pick that I'd just strictly alternate pick it.
You could just pick down when descending the strings and up when ascending (basically slow sweep picking) but i think it will sound like shit. That's just me.. My personal opinion on arpeggio's is to ALWAYS alternate pick. I think it sounds like dogshit otherwise but that's just me. I'm a pretty strict alternate picker.
It'd kind of help to hear what song this is from (if it's from a song at all).

I think it's entirely up to you. As i said my opinion is that it will sound like shit if you don't alternate pick it. That's just my opinion and it's just what i like.

Sorry mate, I added the notes that would be hammer on if this was a sweep (im too used to seeing these chord shapes as sweep patterns)

So strictly alternate pick? I have been going up and down although it has been good sweep practice it hasn't done anything for my normal picking.
Quote by thUnderground12
Sorry mate, I added the notes that would be hammer on if this was a sweep (im too used to seeing these chord shapes as sweep patterns)

So strictly alternate pick? I have been going up and down although it has been good sweep practice it hasn't done anything for my normal picking.

That's a very difficult sweep and I'd struggle a lot with it. Mainly cos i suck at 6 string sweeps because I've like never ever done them. If you're using that as sweep practice and you're new to sweeping then that's probably much too hard a sweep to start with haha.

I wouldn't take my advice immediately however. I'm interested to see what others think. I was just brought up as a very strict alternate picker (with arpeggio's in particular) due to one of my early guitar teachers heavily influencing me with his incredible alternate picking sensibility.

Just out of curiosity how long have you been playing?
Last edited by vayne92 at May 27, 2013,
Quote by vayne92
That's a very difficult sweep and I'd struggle a lot with it. Mainly cos i suck at 6 string sweeps because I've like never ever done them. If you're using that as sweep practice and you're new to sweeping then that's probably much too hard a sweep to start with haha.

I wouldn't take my advice immediately however. I'm interested to see what others think. I was just brought up as a very strict alternate picker (with arpeggio's in particular) due to one of my early guitar teachers heavily influencing me with his incredible alternate picking sensibility.

Just out of curiosity how long have you been playing?

I have been playing for around 10 years. I have been sweeping for about 5 of them and can sweep pretty well. I have been doing every arpeggiated type of lick with like a slow sweep up and down the strings but I have tried alternate picking notes and I have to say its much harder but sounds way better. I will need to dig out some exercises to facilitate this.
How you'd pick this depends entirely on how you want it to sound. You could alternate pick those notes if you want a more aggressive sound. You could sweep pick it if you wanted a more legato sound. You could use down strokes ascending and up strokes descending for a kind of in-between of sweeping and alternate picking. Depending on what notes you want ringing out, you could do different varieties of muting....