Page 1 of 6
Nelsean has allowed me to post this here. I am posting this on behalf of the Atheist community across the world, and for Rebecca Vitsmun.

Background information:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DA2fRyllDSE

http://www.dougstanhope.com/journal/2013/5/23/atheists-unite-updated.html

Rebecca Vitsmun - while in a sea of "God" rhetoric in the aftermath of the Moore, OK tornado - was being interviewed by CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

When asked by Wolf "Do you thank the Lord?" she quickly responded that she was an atheist.

It's important that our community shows that we have your back when you come out publicly as an atheist.

Let's show the world that you dont need to believe in a god to have human compassion nor does all charity fall under the banner of religion.

Let's get this courageous woman and her family back in their own home.

What We Need & What You Get

We dont know the exact cost of putting a family back together when you dont even have a toothbrush anymore so we randomly chose 50,000 dollars as a goal. And that's probably low-ball.

The Impact

The impact of getting Rebecca and her family properly housed by the atheist community will do far more good than sitting in bars or chat rooms mocking people of faith. Like religion, free-thinking will be more easily spread through compassion and decency.

In essence, this is a "help Rebecca get her home re-built" fund. You don't know Rebecca, and neither do I. We do know that she's an Atheist and has lost her home. Stanhope's reasoning is a little biased, but this is still a person in need.

Yes, it is just for Rebecca and she was chosen because of her lack of faith. There are plenty of relief funds set up already for those struggling with the disaster as Rebecca is not the only one. There is no reason for you to choose Rebecca over a broad funding organization that distributes to others, however, by donating here this will show you where the funds are going so you at least feel somewhat important.

If you don't want to donate, no one is forcing you to and that is fine. All I ask is that you please don't make a fuss about it and move on with your day. I do not expect other countries unaffected by this to donate at all, because frankly, it isn't your country, but anyone who does choose to donate, I would greatly appreciate it, as would Doug and Rebecca, even if it's a dollar, you are still appreciated.

Maybe not as much as the guy who gives ten bucks, but such is life.

I urge you to read through Doug's page and know what you're donating to, and I want to make sure you feel comfortable donating, not just because you feel obligated. Let us reinforce this notion,

Quote by Doug Stanhope
Like religion, free-thinking will be more easily spread through compassion and decency.

You might ask why it matters if she's an Atheist, well, read Stanhope's reasoning. Don't agree with his reasoning?

Don't donate. This is a simple thing, any help is appreciated. Thank you.
This is precisely why atheism is a silly label.

Also, are they blue-screened to be next to that house? The lighting looks all wrong.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I'm an atheist and I have cancer. Can I have money

Sure, set up a fund. I'll donate a dollar or two.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I'm an atheist and I have cancer. Can I have money

Not until you get on TV and spread the word.

The anti-Word word, that is.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
may we pray for her and her son's souls, both of which she has condemned to damnation
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
this is nothing short of embarrassing
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Again guys, I don't inherently care if you donate or not, but if you do, it's appreciated.

I'm being as reasonable as possible here. This is only if you feel like it, leave your grievances out of it.
As an atheist, I find this to be somewhat disturbing, though necessary.
This seems to show the exact opposite of human compassion. Raising a fund for someone who's house was destroyed because they're an atheist is stupid. Compassion is helping everyone regardless of faith to help unite people over more important things.

This is embarrassing. I'm glad I'm donating to a more universal fund instead of this tripe.

You can't post something and be like 'hey guys dont say anything critical about this'. If you want know criticism from the people you're appealing to the don't bother bringing it up.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at May 27, 2013,
Doug Stanhope is a self-righteous asshole tbh
Hey guys, on behalf of everyone who's non-partisan ima setting up a fund for this girl cause she doesn't vote!
Yeah I thought I liked Doug. This is kinda silly. It doesn't even make sense.

"Oh, hundreds of families are screwed. But because I know the mum in this one doesn't believe in God like me, she can have my money over everyone"

It's not even a nice message to send out.
Quote by willT08
Yeah I thought I liked Doug. This is kinda silly. It doesn't even make sense.

"Oh, hundreds of families are screwed. But because I know the mum in this one doesn't believe in God like me, she can have my money over everyone"

It's not even a nice message to send out.

Exactly. It does the exact opposite of what would help. Atheists are always the Other figure here. What's a great way to bring everyone together? Donate to one specific person amid a seas of ruin because they're an atheist. That'll teach everyone we're just like everyone else.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
i see nothing wrong with this

except doug stanhope's involvement, that guy is too cool for something like this
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at May 27, 2013,
Preach it, brother!

erm...
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I'm fairly convinced, at this point, that atheism is going to become just another in-group, rather than the universal out-group that the concept should entail.
kind of reminds me of south park's "go god go" episodes
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by BladeSlinger
You can't post something and be like 'hey guys dont say anything critical about this'. If you want know criticism from the people you're appealing to the don't bother bringing it up.

I'm saying don't say critical things in here, because this has nothing to do with your opinions, but rather to donate to the fund for reasons presented. I even said, "If you don't agree, don't donate." I don't know what you're fighting for, but you're aiming in the wrong direction.

Go complain to Doug if you want to complain, here is how to contact him:

http://www.dougstanhope.com/to-reach-doug/

File your grievances there.
Is Doug Stanhope that boring American that always wastes ten minutes of my time when I'm watching Charlie Brooker's yearwipe?
I think it's fine. That girl was called out on her faith on national television. That's really fuccked up. Now she'll be labeled the rest of her life by idiots who have no introspect on the realities of life and others around them.

I'm a believer of God, i'll let you guys know because nuts and balls, but to do something as inconsiderate as to say "lol hey your whole town was destroyed by something god created and you survived his wrath. Thank god right? lol I mean god saved you right? RUGHTI!!!" is totally horrible.

So yeah, let this thread grow, if you want to donate that's fine, but I feel this should be posted if not for her, but for others in the same godless predicament.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Todd Hart
I'm fairly convinced, at this point, that atheism is going to become just another in-group, rather than the universal out-group that the concept should entail.

In this moment, I am euphoric.
You guys are all missing the point, just like you did when the Pope made his statement last week.

This isn't about helping her because she's an atheist. It's about showing to the huge, huge multitudes that think of atheists as moral-less devil scum that lacking faith is not the same thing as lacking compassion and empathy. The reason this fund is being set up is to prove a point, not because this woman is more important than anyone else, and the reason that donations are being asked for her specifically is because it's a fund that can be guaranteed to be almost exclusively non-believers.

This isn't about helping the woman who doesn't believe in God because non-belief is better than belief, it's about helping the woman who doesn't believe in God to demonstrate that those without belief can also help people in need.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by Todd Hart
Is Doug Stanhope that boring American that always wastes ten minutes of my time when I'm watching Charlie Brooker's yearwipe?

Precisely. Except I like him but we can't agree on everything if our marriage is gonna be interesting.

EDIT: His bit on Horse Racing on a Weekly Wipe was spot on

EDIT2: ^ Mac, if atheists want to do that, they can donate to proper relief charities that help everyone.
Last edited by willT08 at May 27, 2013,
Thank you Nelsean. I won't be mad if you decide to close this if it gets too out of hand.

Quote by Todd Hart

He's the fat headed alchoholic, but again, that's not for this thread.
Quote by MAC2322
You guys are all missing the point, just like you did when the Pope made his statement last week.

This isn't about helping her because she's an atheist. It's about showing to the huge, huge multitudes that think of atheists as moral-less devil scum that lacking faith is not the same thing as lacking compassion and empathy. The reason this fund is being set up is to prove a point, not because this woman is more important than anyone else, and the reason that donations are being asked for her specifically is because it's a fund that can be guaranteed to be almost exclusively non-believers.

This isn't about helping the woman who doesn't believe in God because non-belief is better than belief, it's about helping the woman who doesn't believe in God to demonstrate that those without belief can also help people in need.

thats some hell of a point. we can put our money to use helping far more people and doing far more good, or we can have less of an impact and not help ease the suffering of others in order to scratch our own back to feel self-important and enlightened by our own intelligence.
How the eff was she "called out" because of her atheism? Because Wolf assumed she believed in God since he was in one of the most christian places on earth? Big deal.
Quote by willT08
Precisely. Except I like him but we can't agree on everything if our marriage is gonna be interesting.

EDIT: His bit on Horse Racing on a Weekly Wipe was spot on

I liked the horse racing bit, and his stint about the Royal family was good.

And dinner wasn't on the table when I got home from work today, sweetie. Not happy.

Quote by MAC2322

You can do that anyway by donating to one of the countless secular charities which don't end up giving care due to beliefs. In fact, the entire point of secularism is that people are treated equally regardless of belief. The idea of a charity supporting atheists only is completely against that.
Quote by willT08
EDIT2: ^ Mac, if atheists want to do that, they can donate to proper relief charities that help everyone.

Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by MAC2322

Then why not make a fund for everyone by non-believers? I'd jump on board that in a second. I'd definitely consider donating to this woman along with my planned donation but I still can't see what it will do to do it this way.

Quote by bradulator
How the eff was she "called out" because of her atheism? Because Wolf assumed she believed in God since he was in one of the most christian places on earth? Big deal.

This. I don't see why people are freaking out. I'm glad she corrected him because she's an example that atheists are normal people and they are in our communities.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at May 27, 2013,
Quote by MAC2322

OK so good, it's an atheistic ploy to make fun of all of the people who think he's an asshole, thereby making the people who think he's an asshole assholes since technically this is helping out 1 person in Oklahoma.

I hope the girl who gets the money donates some of it to those around her.
@Burgery, what was his amazing point I've missed? Because Todd seems to have missed it as well.
Quote by bradulator
OK so good, it's an atheistic ploy to make fun of all of the people who think he's an asshole, thereby making the people who think he's an asshole assholes since technically this is helping out 1 person in Oklahoma.

I hope the girl who gets the money donates some of it to those around her.

Whatever she gets will benefit the community regardless. That's money other charities won't be paying and if a house a built, people can go there etc. It will be a benefit either way.

I'll probably donate to her just because she's a person in need and I identify with an atheist in this state.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Then why not make a fund for everyone by non-believers? I'd jump on board that in a second. I'd definitely consider donating to this woman along with my planned donation but I still can't see what it will do to do it this way.

This. I don't see why people are freaking out. I'm glad she corrected him because she's an example that atheists are normal people and they are in our communities.

Exactly. And her response to him thinking she was an atheist was perfect too.
Quote by willT08
@Burgery, what was his amazing point I've missed? Because Todd seems to have missed it as well.

it's about making a statement

the statement being made is "atheists are every bit as moral as you theist niggas" rather than "secularism is good"

there are plenty of atheist that do donate money to secular charities, theres no statement being made there, they're not getting any attention
Quote by korinaflyingv
Last edited by Burgery at May 27, 2013,
Quote by bradulator

it's like calling an asian person chinese when they're like, vietnamese or something. "I'm glad you and your chinese baby are safe" "I'm not chinese..."
Imagine seeing that on the news.