Hi, I just began to learn barre chords, and I was looking for some easy metal, rock, or blues songs to play. Something that will get me more comfortable with barre chords while also being more fun than just pure practice.
Oh and on a related note, I find it exceedingly difficult to do more than a few barre chords in a row. If I do my barring finger begins to hurt enough to force me to stop. Is this normal, and will go away with practice, or am I doing something wrong?
Make sure you have your elbow out a little bit, going a little more perpendicular to the guitar to align your hand a little more in line with the frets. I had to use my middle finger to help out my index finger for a while until I gained more strength in my index finger.

As far as barre chords, tons and tons of songs either have them or could easily be altered to accomodate them.

(music theory guys correct me if I'm wrong)
Lets just look at Gmaj right now.

You can play it either way and it still has the same effect
|-------3------ |----3-------
|-------0------ |----4-------
|-------0------ |----5-------
|-------2------ |----5-------
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at May 28, 2013,
The way I learned was by starting off in drop tuning and barring power chords rooted on the sixth string, once you build up a bit doing that, go back to standard and play around with a third, like the shape you normally use for E major, but move it around the fretboard like a power chord, it won't sound great but bare with it and practice, then throw the bar in on the same fret you'd root a power chord and practice that. Once you've learned the 'barre power chord' as I like to call it, others should be a lot easier to learn and master.

Open tunings can help you practice the barre part as well, open C (C-G-C-G-C-E) or open D (D-A-D-F♯-A-D) are good for barring all the strings on one fret to create a chord, for example you can get a G by barring all the strings on the 5th fret in open C.
Quote by MESAexplorer
As far as barre chords, tons and tons of songs either have them or could easily be altered to accomodate them.

(music theory guys correct me if I'm wrong)
Lets just look at Gmaj right now.

You can play it either way and it still has the same effect
|-------0------ |----4-------
|-------0------ |----5-------
|-------2------ |----5-------

Indeed, it only effects the 'vocalisation' and pitch. So the Gmaj played with the open strings will be lower and have a more 'chorusy' effect, and of course the other would be higher and a bit more stecatto, or whatever.

As you can tell, not exactly one of those 'music theory guys', but I can make words that people nod to.
If they're your thing, Red Hot Chili Peppers' song Under The Bridge basically uses these barre chords for the verses. It looks something like this:
E |---------7----9----5----|
B |----9----7----9----5----|
G |----9----8----10---6----|
D |----9----9----11---7----|
A |----7----9----11---7----|
E |---------7----9----5----|

(It's more than just those four chords; I'd look at a tab.)

Quote by EqualOfHeaven
As you can tell, not exactly one of those 'music theory guys', but I can make words that people nod to.

I can't even do that.

Person: "Hey, what scale are you playing?"

Me: "Uhh, 0 2 3 5 7 8 10 12."
Quote by Dakatsu
I can't even do that.

Person: "Hey, what scale are you playing?"

Me: "Uhh, 0 2 3 5 7 8 10 12."

Lol, I'd just say 'Sort of pentatonic or something, I think it might be minor'

The trick is to learn about half of what you need to know and then blag the rest. And remember: the bigger and more confusing the words the better.