I put 4x jj 12ax7s in v2-5 and a 803 in v1 for the preamp. Now it's time to upgrade the power tubes. I'm thinking about Mullard reissue el84s, anyone have experience with them or any other possible ideas for power tubes? Thanks!
It doesn't make a ton of difference in sound. Get something cheap and reliable.

I'm not sure on the mullards. Never used them. Can't go wrong with JJ's.

Cathbard will come in and say SED=C= if you fly a MIG or JJ's if you are cheap.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I'd like to keep it under $50 if possible. Just looking for a matched pair that will get rid of the fizz and sound articulate.
Quote by HammerParty
I'd like to keep it under $50 if possible. Just looking for a matched pair that will get rid of the fizz and sound articulate.

Power tube don't really make a difference like the preamp tubes do. Unless you play with the volume so high you are into power tube distortion.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Power tube don't really make a difference like the preamp tubes do. Unless you play with the volume so high you are into power tube distortion.

+1

Are you using an EQ pedal?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The volume is high enough. Nah, no eq pedal. I can get the sound I typically want without one. I just want it to be less fizzy and articulate.
What speakers are you using?

I highly recommend getting an EQ pedal, they're extremely useful. Even if you don't want to spend a lot, the Danelectro Fish & Chips is a pretty good unit with a very agreeable price.

In any case, tubes aren't the issue here, unless one of them is just bad. It can happen, but I don't think it's the case here. You'd probably notice more wrong with your sound.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Just a g12h30 closed back. I still need to replace the power tubes. They're chinese stocks haha. Will look into an EQ pedal as well after tubes.
HammerParty, what kind of difference in tone did you notice with the preamp tube swap? I have a JCA20H and was thinking about swapping the pre's out sometime this summer (and maybe the power tubes as well). I'm assuming a bit smoother top end perhaps, especially at higher volume levels?

I'm not sure where you run your volume, but my gigging volume is generally about 3.5-4.5 (with 4.5 being "halfway up" due to the 0-9 numbering scheme on the amp). Once I get up to about 6 on the master, that's when the power tube distortion really seems to kick in and it's also at that point where I feel the highs get a bit too biting for my tastes. I rarely need to get to that point on the volume knob, the only instances are gigs in certain smaller venues where the sound man doesn't mic the amps (ughhhh!) and every once in a while at practice.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
The preamp tubes made it more articulate, eliminated most fizz and made the top end not as overbearingly bright but more warm.

The JCA20h and JCA22 are two different beasts. IIRC the jca20h doesn't have a master and the jca22 has two masters, one for each channel. So it'll be a bit different.
Quote by HammerParty
The preamp tubes made it more articulate, eliminated most fizz and made the top end not as overbearingly bright but more warm.

The JCA20h and JCA22 are two different beasts. IIRC the jca20h doesn't have a master and the jca22 has two masters, one for each channel. So it'll be a bit different.

That sounds exactly like what I'd like to achieve with a tube swap.

As far as the difference in the two models, the 20H does have a master, it's just single channel amp. I run the amp's drive at about 3.5, which gives it a slightly overdriven sound that I can clean up with either picking dynamics or with the guitar's volume knob. From there I boost with a couple of different OD's depending on what type of tone I'm looking for (MI Audio Blues Pro for high-ish gain Marshall-y goodness or a Digitech Bad Monkey for a smoother, more mid-gain tone).
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Ahhh right, the first channel is the same. If I run that channel, I usually keep the gain knob around 1.5-2 and master about six. I use an Ibanez TS808hw to boost it for the sound you are describing, except maybe a bit lacking in mids due to you having a bad monkey vs my ts808hw.
Quote by R45VT
It doesn't make a ton of difference in sound. Get something cheap and reliable.

I'm not sure on the mullards. Never used them. Can't go wrong with JJ's.

Cathbard will come in and say SED=C= if you fly a MIG or JJ's if you are cheap.

This - except that SED don't make an EL84. So it's JJ or gtfo. They're the only EL84 that is any good. That's why the scare about JJ EL84's QC last year was particularly worrying.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
This - except that SED don't make an EL84. So it's JJ or gtfo. They're the only EL84 that is any good. That's why the scare about JJ EL84's QC last year was particularly worrying.

Eh. Missed the el84 part. I had read 34... Oops.

I put JJs in my Marshall DSL401 and even near power tube breakup levels they held up. I sold it after a few floggings so I can't comment on the longevity for them.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I blew one in one of my 18W'ers somewhat prematurely but I do give it a bit of punishment. I don't take those near power tube breakup, I push them well into it. That was a bad couple of weeks though, I blew power tubes in three amps of various types and brands. I think Apollo was displeased with me for some reason.

Oh yeah, and I also blew the voicecoil in one of my hifi speakers as well, trying to keep up with an 18W'er. 100W speakers my ****ing arse.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification