I just won 5 grand from the lottery and been trying to decide what bass and amp to purchase, considering I've been dying to get a 5 string for about 4 years now, would i be best of spending almost 3 grand on a spector and some sort of ampeg or what? I'm into bands like Streetlight Manifesto, Between the Buried and Me and Protest the Hero.

any input is greatly appreciated!
With that budget, you simply need to go out and try EVERYTHING you can get your hands on. You may not even feel that a $3,000 bass is actually worth more than an instrument at half the price. You're bound to get a load of 'Just buy x!' answers, which really isn't that helpful, and I'm sure the vast majority of the other regulars will agree with this with your particular budget. Use this thread to detail your journey, ask questions about the gear you've tried etc, that would probably be the best thing.
i'd try and keep the budget down under $3500 or so for shipping, accessories, and ofc bills. buy cheap, buy twice, but don't get carried away

a bongo will cover any number of sounds - around $1700 USD

a dingwall combustion (or afterburner) are quite interesting if you're into fanned frets - combustion $1300ish+case, afterburner $1800ish+case

if you live in the US you can get a great carvin in the $1-1,5k range

warwicks are in the higher ranges, around $2k for the "prime rib" level you'll be aiming for, but that tone is very hard to beat if you're into that sound.

spectors are great for a modern tone but i'd definitely try one first

as for amps, i'd go with a good DI (like the darkglass b7k and/or just the preamp section of a good head) and run it through a computer rig so you can double up for recording and run redwirez IRs for cab emulation, personally. otherwise, the carvin b2000 and bx1500 get a lot of praise for bang-for-your-buck and the greenboy fEARful cabs are great if you are into DIY.

then ofc you can't go wrong with ampeg, but i'd try and stick with a simple, light rig cause the temptation for an SVT screaming through an 8x10 isn't gonna be there when you have to lug it off the stage after a long set
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Leave Dexterity
Ya i mean i don't want to spend all of the 5 grand i want to save a fair amount but again thanks everyone. I'll definitely look around im thinking of this for a bass http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez-sr505-5-string-electric-bass-guitar

Get a BTB575 it's better bass overall although it's quite heavy.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Spend some if the money on travelling to some good bass shops in your country and go from there.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
You mentioned you're into PTH and BTBAM -- why not try out a Spector Legend, or perhaps a Rebop?
My Gear:
Fender Squier VM Jazz Bass
ESP LTD B-5E
ESP LTD EC-330FM
Ibanez RGD7421
Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Pod X3
Quote by Leave Dexterity
...5 string ... I'm into bands like Streetlight Manifesto, Between the Buried and Me and Protest the Hero.

Sounds like you want modern and you certainly don't want an Ampeg.

We can easily narrow it down to a few for you to look at if you answer a few questions first.

Are there any basses you've had that you have a particular affinity for?
Do you prefer wide or narrow necks, deep or shallow?
Do you need 24 frets?
Do you prefer small or large/classic shape basses?
Modern or classic finishes?

Warwick, Spector and Ibanez would be my first choices for modern metal.

For the amp, I'd recommend a powerful solid state head by Genz Benz, Eden, Markbass, SWR, Aguilar or EBS.
Quote by Spaz91
Are there any basses you've had that you have a particular affinity for?
Do you prefer wide or narrow necks, deep or shallow?
Do you need 24 frets?
Do you prefer small or large/classic shape basses?
Modern or classic finishes?

I prefer narrow necks\lightweight I guess 24 frets would be ideal for the style of music I'm into, modern for sure and i guess I've always had a thing for musicman stingrays but not sure if any of my local music stores hold them.
I think real Musicman basses are generally made to order. If you prefer a more lightweight bass then I'd have a look at the Musicman Sterling; possibly the Sabre too but I'm not sure about their dimensions. Also look at Sandberg, make sure to check out their "configurator".
Quote by Spaz91
I think real Musicman basses are generally made to order.

They are. IIRC dealers can order batches to hang on the shop walls, but if you want something with specific options your dealer can put in the order and EBMM will build it to order.

An MM Sterling would indeed be a good lightweight choice, but don't rule a Stingray out. There are lighter bits of ash out there and IIRC some Stingrays were (or maybe still are) made with poplar. A Spector might be up your alley, a Rebop with a pickup change is a great lightweight bass, even a used US Bolt On would be in your budget. Warwick would be a good option too but I feel you'll find more of them on the heavier side.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
If it were me, I'd try a few out and would probably end up buying more than one. But then, I have a pretty long list of basses I'd like.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.