As far as I can tell it's normal hum. It's not hiss or white noise or anything like that. I have a JJ ECC803 in V1 and the amp is dead quiet at house/bedroom levels. It's only when I play with the band that it hums something fierce. Adjusting the preamp gain doesn't do anything to the level of hum at all, it is completely based on the post gain. I play with it around 5 (~12 o'clock) with the band. It doesn't start to go away until about 3 (~10 o'clock).

I'm pretty sure it's nothing going on in the signal chain, it doesn't change if I have everything on, or have the signal completely muted to the amp.

Can anything really be done? I fear I've been spoiled by my JSX and Vypyr Tube, they are/were dead silent at any volume (with noise gates, of course. But I'm running the same exact chain FX wise into the 6505 as I did with my JSX).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 28, 2013,
Pre-amp hum is best dealt with by using an ISP Decimator G-string. Detection just after tuner, the actual gate as the first part of the effects loop.
My last 5150 was identical to the 6505 as far as hum goes. It is audible for sure at band volume. Have you tried the noise gate in the FX chain? It never bothered me as it was actually quieter than some of the other amps i have owned.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at May 28, 2013,
^ Are you suggesting a a noise gate in addition to/instead of a noise surpressor?

Quote by AndyGray
Pre-amp hum is best dealt with by using an ISP Decimator G-string. Detection just after tuner, the actual gate as the first part of the effects loop.

Do you think any preamp hum would go up and down if you adjusted the preamp knob up and down?

Offworld - Anything else change in your band environment besides your amp change? I'm thinking it is more power section related on the 6505 but I'm not technical enough to trouble shoot it. I guess the first thing I would do is hit the 6L6 pins with Dioxit contact cleaner. Then, after massaging those in and out a bit I'd try swapping their positions. You can also try the tap test.
There is also the ground switches in the rear panel.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
The 6505 and 5150 aren't exactly what I would call a quiet amp in the first place. They do have a rather significant amount of hum.

Because I get a decent discount on some of the things we sell, I bought a monster surge protector with clean power just to see what it would do. It helped my hum issue slightly. For $25 I recommend it, for $65 I'd look elsewhere.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I actually tried all of the ground switch positions, I didn't notice it do anything at all.

I haven't tried my physical noise gate in the loop yet. I will try that when I can.

I'll try the Deoxit, I need to get some anyway for pots and shiz.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I actually tried all of the ground switch positions, I didn't notice it do anything at all.

I haven't tried my physical noise gate in the loop yet. I will try that when I can.

I'll try the Deoxit, I need to get some anyway for pots and shiz.

It didn't sound like a ground problem but its easy to check. That really comes into playing if you have multiple equipment creating a ground loop.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr