Page 1 of 2
Once I save up enough money I plan on buying one and I have three final candidates, the Chad Krueger 'Blackwater', the Gibson Les Paul signature T, and the Gibson Les Paul Studio swirl. If anyone has a Gibson could you please give your opinions and possibly pics of your guitar?
the signature T is selling at sam ash for $1599.

that's a great price for a new gibson les paul.

everyone here loves nickelback so i'm sure everyone will start screaming CHAD CHAD CHAD!!!

but trust me, you want the signature T.
The T is a good guitar.

The swirl is a studio with a goofy paintjob. Get it if you don't mind a studio and really want a swirl.
The Blackwater is a signature guitar. Get it if you really like nickelback, or if you really want those exact specs on a guitar and don't mind the implication of owning it.

That may all sound obvious, but of those three, only the T is 'just a good guitar' with no other stuff muddling the value. The other two are ones that most people would only buy specifically for the look or artist association.
I would just get a LP traditional. If you buy the Chad Krueger i will find you and i will destroy it.

and your fingers.
Roc8995, I love the designs on the Swirls but I'm getting the impression that the designs won't sustain an interest and that I'd get bored of them eventually as opposed to a classic vintage sunburst signature t :3.

Also being labelled a nickelback fanatic puts me off the blackwater -_-

ps I tried posting a reply using quotes but i epically failed -_-
I would just get a LP traditional. If you buy the Chad Krueger i will find you and i will
destroy it.

So much for 'everyone on here loves nickelback' hahaha!
Loved the Blackwater, everything was awesome apart from those god awful fret markers on the side of the neck.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
At last that horse faced rock and roll anti Christ did something good.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by dmitryfedkiv
Woah. that's just over one grand in pounds

do you have one yourself?

i've played two at the local shop by me. they're all on closeout at that price.

they really are the best "value" gibson les paul for the money right now between the traditional and standard models. imo.

i think i'd have buyers remorse from a swirl studio before i got home with it. not so much with the T.
Quote by gregs1020
but trust me,
I got a little nervous right about here..

Isn't the Chad guy boinking Avril Lavigne ? He must be doing something right..
Quote by gregs1020
i've played two at the local shop by me. they're all on closeout at that price.

they really are the best "value" gibson les paul for the money right now between the traditional and standard models. imo.

I need to go have a look then in local shops! I've been searching online and the prices are all around £1399! A signature T for £1050 would be a bargain.
Quote by BobDetroit

You know which one she wants you to buy..

Wannabes know **** all about anything.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by BobDetroit

The way things are looking atm i think she will be disappointed :P
Quote by dmitryfedkiv
I need to go have a look then in local shops! I've been searching online and the prices are all around £1399! A signature T for £1050 would be a bargain.

didn't realize you are overseas.

sam ash music stores can't ship new guitars overseas.

of course, a UG'er could buy it and ship it to you if you know that's what you want. got any UG'ers you'd trust in the US?

joined may of 2013, i'm guessing no.
Quote by gregs1020

of course, a UG'er could buy it and ship it to you if you know that's what you want. got any UG'ers you'd trust in the US?

Its his first thread also

Joined today and has already mentioned chad kroeger. in his first thread.

oh boy.
Quote by gregs1020

Well hopefully the prices around here will be cheap too.

haha I don't think I'll be asking anyone to buy a Gibson for me.. I'm too sceptical.

haha yeah I'm not quite yet at the trusting stage.
Quote by desperatechris

oh boy.

Hahaha, i mentioned him because of his signature guitar, not because of Chad himself, surely that's a good cause.
^ not trusting? wtf? i buy guitars blindly from japan.

it's probably a miracle i haven't gotten ripped off.

Quote by desperatechris

oh boy.

potential lulz-o-meter is pegged.
Quote by gregs1020
^ not trusting? wtf? i buy guitars blindly from japan.

it's probably a miracle i haven't gotten ripped off.

Dude I'm confused.. how does the whole buying from UG thing work?
Quote by dmitryfedkiv
Dude I'm confused.. how does the whole buying from UG thing work?

You just transfer money to my account and i buy a guitar.
Quote by desperatechris
You just transfer money to my account and i buy a guitar.

Scammers must love it here.
In all honesty there have been a few guitars bought from the USA by members for someone else and have sent it to the UK.

Greg has done it and I'd trust him with my money. Of course you wouldn't be expected to trust someone when you don't know them. That kind of attitude is ridiculously naive, but Greg is one of the good guys.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil
Wannabes know **** all about anything.
Avril Lavigne has sold something like 30,000,000 albums and Nickelback has sold something like 50,000,000. i can't say I'm a fan of either of them but i would hardly call them wannabes..
You've missed the point.

I'm not talking about their album sales, come on. They're obviously successful, but they're caricatures of rock and roll artists. Generic, formulaic, pop music with distortion and common chord progressions don't make me feel that they're credible.

Is Avril Lavinge a credible alternative star, even though she's marketed as one? No, she's a pop star.

Is Nickleback a band with the passion and drive to push boundaries as artists like Soundgarden or Alice in Chains or Pearl Jam do? No, they write songs that are pleasing to the ear for millions of people who buy album after album of the same old stuff.

They talk the talk but they don't walk the walk. That's what I mean.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at May 28, 2013,
I have bought 2 or 3 guitars through Greg?

I have also got 2 through Colin.

Both stand up guys.

Would happily trust them with my money.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by gregs1020

everyone here loves nickelback so i'm sure everyone will start screaming CHAD CHAD CHAD!!!

F-U .05 sucks and the only reason I have a smidgen of respect for CK is because of Steel panther, nothing else.

The swirl is just ugly in person
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ you know you love the nickel.

Quote by dmitryfedkiv
Scammers must love it here.

not really.

but the problem is trusting someone else's opinion of a guitar. it's so subjective. one man's garbage is another man's treasure, kinda thing.

yeah we can score those for $1599, they just had a 15% off sale but idk if you could use it on a "T" because they are already on closeout pricing. nice deal considering a regular studio is around $1300 ish... but studios vary jn model/finishes down to $600 here.

and for the kind words guys.
Stopped reading all the posts...not sure what was going on........

I really like my MH400 LTD (ESP import) with Emg 81/85. I decided to buy another guitar, and I played a Gibson Les Paul Studio. It is a great guitar. Love the action and neck. I eventually changed out the Burst Bucker Pros with a Seymour Duncan Sh-1 and a Sh12. It is an amazing guitar to play for me. I use my LTD for metal and my studio for rock.

I suggest to check out all of them. See which one sounds best as suggested. Don't buy the Gibson because it is a Gibson....but it if it is a great guitar for you!

Good luck!
Quote by dmitryfedkiv
If anyone has a Gibson could you please give your opinions and possibly pics of your guitar?
I just bought a $1,700 Gibson Firebird V that can be seen in this thread. I'm not completely happy with the finish on it and think Gibson could have done a lot better than they did. I'm trying to get essentially the same feedback as relates to my guitar as you are on Gibsons generally.

I've owned many high end Gibson guitars over the years and own some high end Gibson guitars now including the Firebird assuming that fits the high end guitar category. Haven't had any issues until now.

I would try and find one locally that you can see and play. Check it out thoroughly. In the alternative, order one from one of the larger retailers that has a local store and a 30 day return policy. That way you won't be stuck with a dud in the event you get one. Never, ever buy one without first playing it. I made that mistake with a violin and got burned bad. Real bad. Hard lesson learned in that instance.
Last edited by David Stein at May 29, 2013,
^ that's called a hijack. And I don't see anything wrong with the Firebird really.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil
^ that's called a hijack. And I don't see anything wrong with the Firebird really.
I'll delete the above post if necessary. Thought it was relevant to this thread and the OP's question regarding Gibson quality. I own other high end Gibson guitars by the way not just the newly purchased Firebird.

In passing, you've provided an answer, in part, to my question in the other thread. I don't wish to derail or distract from this thread and would appreciate greatly your expounding upon the term "really" at the end of your second sentence. You're not giving the Firebird a complete pass as I see it. For example, is what you saw in the pictures normal for a Gibson guitar in 2013? Thanks for the input and I hope you'll make a post in my thread as I need to decide whether to keep the bird or not.
Last edited by David Stein at May 29, 2013,
Lol you deleted the thread where we all told you to return it and made the exact same one again?

TS: it may be worth looking at the Pre 2013 Trafitionals. A lot of places were sellin them for about £1299-1399 which is a steal IMO

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at May 29, 2013,
If price is a concern to you then honestly, just go to some shops and play a bunch of Studio and LPJ units until you find one that feels good in your hand. Gibsons vary in feel, weight and tone a lot—even when comparing two of the 'same' model—so you've really got to go play it in person before you buy one. The cheaper Gibsons are really nice these days and it makes much more sense to buy something you like locally than having something shipped over to you.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by BobDetroit

She is a lesbian in disguise.

BECAUSE NO ONE LIKE CHAD KROEGER
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
^ Okay.

Write that in the sand and see anyone will buy it in 20 years.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at May 29, 2013,
Quote by Mephaphil
You've missed the point.

I'm not talking about their album sales, come on. They're obviously successful, but they're caricatures of rock and roll artists. Generic, formulaic, pop music with distortion and common chord progressions don't make me feel that they're credible.

Is Avril Lavinge a credible alternative star, even though she's marketed as one? No, she's a pop star.

Is Nickleback a band with the passion and drive to push boundaries as artists like Soundgarden or Alice in Chains or Pearl Jam do? No, they write songs that are pleasing to the ear for millions of people who buy album after album of the same old stuff.

They talk the talk but they don't walk the walk. That's what I mean.
Man in the Box and Yellow Ledbetter aren't simple common chord progressions with distortion?

I find Nickelbacks music (at least the stuff I've heard) almost laughable but I disagree that Avril Lavigne and Chad whatever his name is don't know exactly what they are doing.
So you agree then? Of course they know what they're doing. They are dressed up as rock and roll artists but really, they're pop acts. The term wannabe was just used to highlight that they aren't what they appear to be and because of that they'll never be credible artists in lots of people's eyes.

Wannabe rock stars. Plastic, fake. Do you see where I'm coming from?

It's not just the chord progressions is it, it's the lyrics, the mood, the atmosphere the videos or lack of videos, etc.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at May 29, 2013,
Page 1 of 2