Hi All,
I just got my first used tube amp from ebay.
Fendar blues jr. III

I was testing it and noticed that when I cranked it up loud the speaker had a "crackle" when I strum.

Is that typical? It's looks like a stock fender speaker.

Also, the tubes in back light up but not very bright....I'm not sure if that is the way it's supposed to be or if they should be brighter?
Or if they warm up and get brighter?

It's just a faint spots of orange light....I've attached pics so you can see what I mean.

let me know if this is normal
Attachments:
20130528_151715.jpg
20130528_151722.jpg
Last edited by ken styles at May 28, 2013,
Hmm... when you say "cranked up", do you mean the volume? Tube amps will "break up" at higher volumes, well, typically any ways. In fact, it's the most true form of distortion.

As for the tubes, that looks about right, the glow. It shouldn't ever be too bright, when it gets too bright it's actually a bad thing.
From what I understand, the only bad thing that you can tell visually from the tubes is redplating... Which is what it sounds like; red. As long as it's not a bright red glow you're OK.

As for the speaker, it depends what you mean. If it's a slightly pleasant 'grind' kind of sound to it then yes that's called 'overdriving' the tubes and is normal. If it's a 'crackle' that is unpleasant then no that could be a bad speaker.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Tubes should just have a faint orange/purple glow to them. If the metal plate inside them starts glowing orange like melting metal (redplating), you need to swap it out.

As for the crackle, you might try plugging the amp in a few different places in your house, standing in different places, and things like that. It might be some sort of interference or grounding issue.

I don't know if the blues jr. has a ground switch, you might flip that to its other setting and see if that stops the crackle.

Unless of course the overdrive is biting a little, in which case you might dial the guitar volume back a hair.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at May 28, 2013,
Quote by tubetime86
From what I understand, the only bad thing that you can tell visually from the tubes is redplating... Which is what it sounds like; red. As long as it's not a bright red glow you're OK.

As for the speaker, it depends what you mean. If it's a slightly pleasant 'grind' kind of sound to it then yes that's called 'overdriving' the tubes and is normal. If it's a 'crackle' that is unpleasant then no that could be a bad speaker.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I used to have that amp.I bought a used one from a Guitar Center about ten years ago.My amp was completely clear as a bell.No crackle,hum,or buzz whatsoever.Also,if your Jr. isn't extremely loud,it should be.I don't know if that helps.