Ok, so my dad found this beautiful (at least it was) in a dumpster outside of his work. Its completely abused. No wiring, no humbuckers, just most of the hardware and the case. Truss rod looks stripped, they cut the piece of wood that is between the 2 pickups, they filled in two of the 4 volume, tone knobs. and filled in the toggle switch. What in the heck was this guy thinking..... first off can anyone tell by the pictures what his stupid little plan was? 3 humbuckers with only 2 controls and no switches probably.

The serial number is 9208677

Trying to research this, i came up with that this is a 1996 Smartwood studio, Banara.
but there is no smartwood stamp on the back of the head. and no truss rod cover, alight if it did it would have said smartwood on it instead of the green leaf.

However i count nothing out as he couldve stripped the finish, swapped necks, and frankensteined some nonsense.

Anyways..... im going to rebuild this.... do i go stock or try and go with 57 reissues instead of the 498/490?

any ideas on how to fix the top coming apart from the back and how do i fill in that hole between the two pickups?

avoiding forbidden link copy paste pleasehttp://s48.photobucket.com/user/Jast007/library/Gibson%20Build
Last edited by amrivera007 at May 28, 2013,
but does anyone out there have an idea of what it is? or how i can make it cool again?
It looks genuine and I come up with a Studio, made 1996 on July 27th, 377th guitar made that day (probably the last one that day) Nashville.

At one time was fitted with Gibson Deluxe Klusons. The pickup cavity looks to have been routed. Who knows why. This can be re-filled and refinished.

To be honest I'd love to have it. Would make a great project guitar. As far as I can see, theres no head stock or neck break. Replacing the truss rod is a must, and will require removing the fingerboard. Can be done, but not a small job.

Need to check the neck for warp. If the rod is stripped it suggests the rod was wound until it could wind no more and the rod thread or nut thread popped. *cringe*

If the neck has major warpage, that would be my line of no return. I'd probably toss it or just cosmetically fit it out and refinish it as an ornament and display it on a wall or something.

Reinstating the pickup switch and pot holes is straightforwards. The guy probably removed the volume controls and just had the output on max all the time and left the tones in.

All that is just for starters. Theres still a replacement bridge, stop bar, pups, all the elbow grease and refinishing, etc etc etc.

There's a bit of work in all of this, and there's a few dollars as well. Probably more than justified for what will end up just being a Studio. But I'd do it for the love.

I'd go back to stock. But that's just me. Im a bit fashioned like that.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at May 28, 2013,
so that reply was pretty awesome lol . thanks phoenix! So the neck looks fine no bends or twists. the truss rod is stripped so ill hafta get that done. The pickup cavity is all sorts of messed up as you could see and i cant find a good pic online that shows what a LP studio is supposed to look like under the pickups. I can fill in but have no club to what depth i should fill it in to. Any tips or online resources on those kinds of measurements?
Last edited by amrivera007 at May 28, 2013,
I'm also going refer you to the My Les Paul website, specifically the forums. There's a projects and luthiers section. What those guys don't know about Les Pauls just isn't worth knowing.

The pickup cavity fill would be with a shaped block of wood to match the level of the surround. Mahogony if you can get it. The caveat is that you will probably end up having to go opaque colour finish because finding maple cap that matches the grain of existing surround is probably not going to happen if you were thinking of going a stain / wash and transparent clear to show off the wood grain.

Also do your research on the cost of everything you think you're going to need before you jump in, including tools if you don't have any.

The price of a complete redo may just put you off to begin with.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at May 28, 2013,
absolutely! thanks for the help! im going there right now!. Yea its getting pretty costly, i might just make it a wall piece like you said but gonna give it a good show, if anything it'll just take forever thats all lol