I know tone woods are important with cuesticks but with the lectronics today are tone woods really important with lectrics.
Oh ****.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Yes...and no.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
What the heck are lectronics and lectrics?

I'd say your 'e' key is broken, but you managed to make it work elsewhere. It's electronics and electrics. Have a Google at the broomstick guitar that Les Paul built. Tone woods do play a role in the tone of a guitar. When I was purchasing my Taylor T5, I tried the various models they had at GC. Each type of tone wood had its own tonal difference. Personally, I preferred the koa to everything else. I have not tried a similar experiment with electrics, but I would have to assume that it would have an impact, even if it's small.
Quote by Mephaphil
Oh ****.

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Tone wood is more important for acoustics than electric guitars. Solid electric guitars are intended to dampen vibration and feedback, whereas acoustics amplify them. Also, electric guitars have the signal processed by the amplifier and pedals (if you use them): this means that wood contributes less to the end sound.

The tone wood still matters, though: you will hear differences between electric guitars with different wood. But it matters less than with an acoustic.
This is by no means definitive but it concurs with my beliefs

"http://www.stormriders.com/guitar/telecaster/guitar_wood.pdf"

Amplified i think there is no difference whatsoever between different woods.
Quote by Bassface7
This is by no means definitive but it concurs with my beliefs

"http://www.stormriders.com/guitar/telecaster/guitar_wood.pdf"

Amplified i think there is no difference whatsoever between different woods.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

wrong.
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
Sorry, let me clarify my response.

Different woods have different structures and densities. These differences have a considerable effect on resonance frequencies that apply to everything at a molecular level. Ever wondered why a cheap indian made les paul copy made of plywood sounds soooooooo different to a genuine USA made Gibson? Put the same pickups in both guitars, and the difference in sound is HUGE

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by ibanez_guru
Sorry, let me clarify my response.

Different woods have different structures and densities. These differences have a considerable effect on resonance frequencies that apply to everything at a molecular level. Ever wondered why a cheap indian made les paul copy made of plywood sounds soooooooo different to a genuine USA made Gibson? Put the same pickups in both guitars, and the difference in sound is HUGE

In your opinion. At least i've backed mine up with actual research, rather than just laughing it off. My charvel (Bought for £300, fitted with a Seymour duncan JB) sounds identical to an ESP eclipse my friend owns (Bought for £1500) which also has a JB in it. As with everything subjective this is my opinion, and you'd do well to respect that.

- Nick
Quote by Bassface7
In your opinion. At least i've backed mine up with actual research, rather than just laughing it off. My charvel (Bought for £300, fitted with a Seymour duncan JB) sounds identical to an ESP eclipse my friend owns (Bought for £1500) which also has a JB in it. As with everything subjective this is my opinion, and you'd do well to respect that.

- Nick

Sorry, i should not have said 'wrong'.

alder, maple, basswood, ash, mahogany, rosewood, korina all sound the same.

so why do Gibson try and source Mahogany (illegally :-P) if cheap arse basswood sounds the same and wouldn't compromise the quality/sound of the end product?

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by ibanez_guru

so why do Gibson try and source Mahogany (illegally :-P) if cheap arse basswood sounds the same and wouldn't compromise the quality/sound of the end product?

Because people on the internet wouldn't be butthurt that they cannot afford good guitars. That to me, is worth breaking the law for.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by gregs1020
tone is in your fingers.

correct to the 100th percentile, but tonality is different between different guitars. If different woods didn't change the overall sound equality of a guitar, then all guitars would be made out of the cheapest wood money could buy

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by Bassface7

- Nick

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by ibanez_guru
correct to the 100th percentile, but tonality is different between different guitars. If different woods didn't change the overall sound equality of a guitar, then all guitars would be made out of the cheapest wood money could buy

People believe wood will change the sound - for so long as that is true guitar makers will continue making guitars from expensive woods.

Do you not find it strange that how good a wood sounds seems to be directly proportional to how rare/exotic/expensive it is?

- Nick
Quote by Tom 1.0

OH NO YOU DIDNT.............

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by Bassface7
People believe wood will change the sound - for so long as that is true guitar makers will continue making guitars from expensive woods.

Do you not find it strange that how good a wood sounds seems to be directly proportional to how rare/exotic/expensive it is?

- Nick

Dude, the sticks of Jesus' crucifix would sound like ass in a guitar.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 29, 2013,
Quote by Bassface7

- Nick

After 25 years of playing, and having played so many different guitars from around the world,

YES, THATS WHAT I AM TELLING YOU.

I cant fathom how you think that different woods, being different in structure, weight and density affect different sound frequencies!!!!!!!!

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by ibanez_guru

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not saying that wood doesn't resonate, or that that resonance is not transferred somewhat to the strings - i'm saying it has no audible affect. Did you go to the link i posted? The research conducted concurs - and its not the only research that does - do a bit of googling on "Guitar tone wood research" and you'll see plenty of the same. I've yet to see a study that has proven wood DOES make a difference. So rather than just asking me if i'm tonedeaf, why not question if you are hearing things?

- Nick