what are your favorite albums in terms of production?

thread inspired by

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp7svl4l5Dk

dem drums, dat clarity

EDIT:
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at May 28, 2013,
Such a subjective question. I like the gritty feel of early black metal. Y'know, the kinda stuff where they were recording in their parent's basement with one microphone. But I like lo-fi stuff.

I appreciate a lot of people prefer much higher production values though.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Deadmau5 - 4x4=12 is a production masterclass.

Disclosure also do ridiculously clean productions, Latch being a good example.

But lots of old dubstep, despite being shitty mixes, has the right production for the vibe. Digital Mystikz remix of Fat Freddy's Drop Cay's Cray being my favourite example of that.

I won't post videos because it just clogs everyone's page.

EDIT: James Blake's productions are a good mix between being very clean and vibey. Sometimes they get a little messy, but they're perfect imperfections.

EDIT2: Sorry, how dare I not mention Burial by name.
Last edited by willT08 at May 28, 2013,
because candlemass party in mumu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aro3_FZYu7U

Quote by vulgarmachine
Such a subjective question. I like the gritty feel of early black metal. Y'know, the kinda stuff where they were recording in their parent's basement with one microphone. But I like lo-fi stuff.

it is indeed very subjective, which is why it's interesting
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Most Pink Floyd
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
that agalloch album is rad.

autre ne veut's s/t has really good production.
so does how to dress well's total loss.
and, of course, any Kanye album
you're a stone fox
Quote by willT08
Oh, on top of the ones I mentioned.

Madlib.

oh yeah. and dilla. and DOOM
you're a stone fox
And Alchemist, and 9th Wonder.

And for modern guys, EOM and Equalibrum are my boys.
Quote by Toadvine
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

album is pretty thrown together, songs sound a bit like they were each recorded at different times with different equipment. which songs in particular do you mean?

i mean some of them sound pretty bad honestly
Quote by korinaflyingv
Last edited by Burgery at May 28, 2013,
Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction
The Protomen - Act 2: The Father of Death
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Death Magnetic
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Sometimes I avoid listening to Aphex Twin just because I love his producing so much, and I know I'll never be able to get the sound he does.

Also, Days to Come and The North Borders by Bonobo.
I love Doomsday Clock by Smashing Pumpkins, but I wish the vocals were mixed quieter and with more reverb, the the snare sounds lovely. Also, all of the Periphery stuff
Misha Mansoor:
Uplifting quote disguising failure as something to be proud of.
Addicted! is really good. I tend to love how Devin Townsend does things.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
quasimoto
alan parsons project
tesseract's perspective EP i adore production-wise
any owl challenger but MOPE, MY FINAL FORM, and gotham in particular
bonobo - black sands
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I also love Witchcraft. I tend to enjoy the production on Opeth's Still Life and Blackwater Park but I'm a fanboy at times.

v He can sometimes
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at May 28, 2013,
devin overdoes it imo
Quote by korinaflyingv
for modern metal, i've always had a soft spot for the sound of Arch Enemy's Doomsday Machine.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by RPGoof

Ulver is just god-tier

god i can't believe i forgot ulver, good tastes
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by vulgarmachine

The important thing is whether the production fits the music. Early Bathory quality production would be unacceptable for a modern rock band, but the same production used for Alter Bridge would be terrible for most black metal bands.

I think that this is something that many people fail to understand. Production is a very artistic thing. This is one of the things that I particularly dislike about many modern metal bands. Obscura is one that comes to mind. The whole thing is just too squeaky clean, to the point that it sounds pretty damn sterile. On the other hand, I'd say that Tomb of the Mutilated or Effigy of the Forgotten have perfect production for a death metal album.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
I think that this is something that many people fail to understand. Production is a very artistic thing. This is one of the things that I particularly dislike about many modern metal bands. Obscura is one that comes to mind. The whole thing is just too squeaky clean, to the point that it sounds pretty damn sterile.

ter dat

technical death metal needs clarity but not as much as it needs punch
Quote by korinaflyingv
links u say

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua2loiGHZ38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2HOEk3UUY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFB_djr880k owl challenger, these turned into nyc wakes up & we are a lost rocket on MY FINAL FORM rather than lobby fox
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.