I'm gonna get one thing strait, I like ticket websites like stubhub. The problem is scalpers. I don't like how people buy more tickets to an event then they really want then resell them for 5 times what they originally paid. For example, I've been looking for Pearl Jam tickets for Wrigley field. When they first went on sale they went for $50-60 for regular seats. Then right away they go on stubhub for $250 and more. How is that right as I spent a couple hours waiting for tickets and didn't get a chance to buy any. Does anybody have similar complaints?
Last edited by ehbacon at May 30, 2013,
Reminds me of that thing scalpers used to do... what was it? oh yea; scalping.
Quote by whywefight
This man speaks truth and has a beastly username.

Quote by Saint78
you are a beautiful person.
Yeah this has been happening forever. The internet just makes it more convenient for scalpers.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by ehbacon
I'm gonna get one thing strait, I like ticket websites like stubhub. What I don't like is how people buy more tickets to an event then they really want then resell them for 5 times what they originally paid. For example, I've been looking for Pearl Jam tickets for Wrigley field. When they first went on sale they went for $50-60 for regular seats. Then right away they go on stubhub for $250 and more. How is that right as I spent a couple hours waiting for tickets and didn't get a chance to buy any. Does anybody have similar complaints?

Quote by ehbacon
I'm gonna get one thing strait

Quote by ehbacon
one thing strait

Quote by ehbacon
strait

i don't know why i feel so dry
That's practically the UG equivalent of greentexting.
Quote by Kopp2
Just be like me. You will get cool by instant

Dayman

Master of karate and friendship for everyone
scalping, pearl jam and no ticketmaster... Im impressed :P
Quote by KingDime666
It's dubstep minor in E.

Quote by steve_muse
I bet I'm gunna love Revolt #plottwist
Quote by Black Hazard
^ Why would you put in so much effort over that?

took me less than a minute
i don't know why i feel so dry
Stopping wasting money on shit shows that cost more than 20 bucks and you won't have to deal with this.
Quote by Wormholes
Stopping wasting money on shit shows that cost more than 20 bucks and you won't have to deal with this.

STOP LlKlNG WHAT l DON'T LlKE!!!!!!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
I have a friend that makes great money doing just this. You can't blame them for taking advantage of the situation - it's just supply and demand in some ways. I was at the Rolling Stones concert a few weeks ago (got em through stubhub actually) and the old couple next to me paid nearly $100 more per ticket while the guys in front of us paid half what I did. Meanwhile its over $500 to $1,000 just to be on the floor. It's great to see your favorite bands live but spending a few hundred bucks on just one night is over the top. It's like concerts are exclusive events now - its not only paying for the ticket, but getting the ticket itself. A majority of the first few rows were celebrities and millionaires. I don't know, I wish I had a solution but its hard to spread out one band amongst millions of people. Maybe this is the best way nowadays.
I agree but there is some risk involved, too. I know someone with season tickets to the Red Sox that sells about half of them and last year, he took an absolute beating trying to get rid of them after their season flopped.

On the other hand, just went on stubhub for Bruins vs. Penguins playoff tickets. They're starting at $250 each. Guess i'll be watching the game at the pub.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by Wormholes

Nowadays, any show you get for under $20 is a shit show
Quote by ehbacon
Nowadays, any show you get for under $20 is a shit show

No, you like shit bands.

The best shows I've been to have been free or under $8.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
lol, ticket sellers already upcharge tickets like crazy with their BS fees. THAT is the real crime.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Picklelerner
I have a friend that makes great money doing just this. You can't blame them for taking advantage of the situation - it's just supply and demand in some ways.

This. Scalpers can do what they do because there will always be morons that will pay them.

If magically, everyone suddenly decide to only by tickets from the venue directly and not anywhere else, scalpers would go broke (i.e. they would drop a load of cash on tickets that no one would buy..)

That's just a fantasy. Stupid people buy the tickets from them. The higher price is like a tax on their stupidity.
A lot of gigs are doing e-tickets or ones with your name printed on them now to counter touts. I'm still ambivalent towards it, as while I like stopping scalpers, it means that you can't get your money back or give the ticket away if you can't go to a show. Especially seeing as tickets are pretty much always non-refundable (unless there is a cancellation) I can imagine it'd annoying for group bookings as, from my experience, it's near impossible that everyone will make it in the end.

At the moment it's a pain in the ass to get tickets to plays and theatre,the easiest way is to book months in advance, usually before the thing has even opened and before you can hear if it's worth wasting money on (especially considering big shows are £50+ just for a basic seat...) If you get the impulse to see a play/musical on short notice, your options are to either pay double or more through touts or queue up at the box office for a few hours before and hope for extras.

Scalpers here only really impact on West end stuff as they buy everything and then sell it at a ridiculous price to tourists who on turning up in town immediately want the whole 'authentic london theatre' experience which prices out the less affluent and the young, and leads to the industry constantly bemoaning the lack of class diversity in the audiences and has most people of the opinion that theatre (except a few of the major musicals) being for the rich or the tourists.

/simplified cynical analysis of theatre industry
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I don't see the problem with scalpers. No one has to buy from them, and if no one does then they lose out. They're just making an investment.
Quote by theguitarist
A lot of gigs are doing e-tickets or ones with your name printed on them now to counter touts. I'm still ambivalent towards it, as while I like stopping scalpers, it means that you can't get your money back or give the ticket away if you can't go to a show. Especially seeing as tickets are pretty much always non-refundable (unless there is a cancellation) I can imagine it'd annoying for group bookings as, from my experience, it's near impossible that everyone will make it in the end.

At the moment it's a pain in the ass to get tickets to plays and theatre,the easiest way is to book months in advance, usually before the thing has even opened and before you can hear if it's worth wasting money on (especially considering big shows are £50+ just for a basic seat...) If you get the impulse to see a play/musical on short notice, your options are to either pay double or more through touts or queue up at the box office for a few hours before and hope for extras.

Scalpers here only really impact on West end stuff as they buy everything and then sell it at a ridiculous price to tourists who on turning up in town immediately want the whole 'authentic london theatre' experience which prices out the less affluent and the young, and leads to the industry constantly bemoaning the lack of class diversity in the audiences and has most people of the opinion that theatre (except a few of the major musicals) being for the rich or the tourists.

/simplified cynical analysis of theatre industry

yeah, Bruce Springsteen tried that but he stopped because he couldn't sell out big venues. It's a good idea for smaller venues, but its not cool when you go to a concert at Wrigley field and half the seats are empty.