I'm looking for some studio monitors for home recording including mixing and potentially mastering tracks. What are your recommendations? Looking to spend £100-£300.
Equator D5s are the best in that price range followed by the Behringer Truth line. I'd avoid the KRKs as they have some hyped frequencies & such.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I don't think anyone here uses them, so you'll have to rely on Reviews. My dad used some Tannoy speakers in the past and their good. But I know exactly nothing about that exact model. Go look at reviews.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by lockwolf
Equator D5s are the best in that price range followed by the Behringer Truth line. I'd avoid the KRKs as they have some hyped frequencies & such.

People say this all the time on here, and I really have to step in and say that it's mostly just hearsay and chinese whispers. They have one of the most accurate frequency ranges in the price range, and they specify the amount of variation in that frequency range, e.g 53Hz-20kHz ±1.5dB I think, for the RP5's, and the RP6 and RP8 are better than each smaller model (I can't remember but I think the RP8 might be 47Hz-20kHz ±0.5dB?). That's pretty unhyped if you ask me, they just recreate the low end pretty well.

If you ask me, the reason people like D5's is not the frequency response, it's the transient response because of the coaxial driver design... it (allegedly) makes up for some of the time domain issues caused by having ported monitors in the first place (which is pretty much any entry level monitor, as sealed box designs that have any volume and low end tend to be quite expensive).

For the price, KRK Rokits are great and certainly a better option than most entry level monitors. And for what it's worth, I'd take my RP6's over a pair of D5's now, if not for familiarity then for the extended low end - in a room that isn't heavily treated/naturally suited to monitoring, I don't think the small improvements to time domain response in the D5's are going to be that noticeable.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Equator D5 are too damned pricey in the UK.

Best options in budget price range are:

- Behringer Truth B2030A / B3030A
- Samson Rubicon 5a/6a
- Yamaha HS50M
- Prodipe Pro Ribbon 5
- Studiospares SN10 + suitable power amp
- M-Audio AV40 (if you really can't afford anything else these will do the job)
Of those, only the Yamaha and Behringer are even worth a look in my opinion If you're really against KRK's, whether for personal taste or you buy into what the latest generation of engineers decide is a 'correct' opinion, I'd probably take the Yamaha but I feel the Rokits are a far better choice in that price range, personally. Until everybody decided D5's were the cool new thing, the Rokits were top of almost all recommendations (not just that Tweak guide linked above, but SOS love them, as do plenty of other typically-reputable reviewers) I've seen.

Things get bigged up in waves though... remember when everybody wanted true NS-10's?
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I has D5's

I just haven't had a chance to use them yet

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I have KRK Rokit 6 inches. Love them. They're red too for the christmas special.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
No cares.

I got them for my Birthday.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I have a pair of Yamaha HS80M monitors in my flat, which sound pretty damn good. The HS50s are good, through quite different sounding; most noticeably a serious lack of bottom end.